New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Keylogger

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lucid

lucid is on a distinguished road

I can't find any suspicious processes running but something strange keeps happening that makes me believe I have a keylogger and malware on my mac. AdobeFlashUpdate just randomly runs and asks me to give admin cred to do the update. Today googlepicasaupdate ran and I closed it and immediately adobeflashupdate popped up. These updates look like they are from adobe and google but I thought updates were only done through Software Update or from within the application. None of these programs were running when they popped up.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

When in doubt always go to the developers site ADOBE if there is a legit update it will be there and look at your URL if the address seems suspicious it is.
Apple does not include Flash updates in software update that is up to the user .
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The only apps that are updated through Software Update are those included with the operating system.

Have you been to any questionable sites lately? If not, the dialogs you're seeing are probably innocuous but do as osxx suggests and update the applications using the installers from the developer's website. If you do that and the dialogs stop, you'll know they were real. If they continue, come back and we can go from there.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

The latest versions of Flash have a System pref and will pop up an update window occasionally.
Google is notorious for it's auto updater - whether you want it to or not.
That being said, there IS malware which mimics the Flash updater and installs trojans.
This is why it is a good idea to install only from Adobe.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
lucid

lucid is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. I went to adobe and updated through their website. I don't know what version I had but I learned that it is embedded into my browser. So I guess adobe and picasa were running as plugins in my browser when the update prompts came.

I'm still interested in learning how to detect such malware. I have kaspersky antivirus installed but it has never detected anything.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Lucid,
A sound piece of advice is always update anything Adobe related directly from their website and not through some kind of popup.
Same for Java.
Flash and Jave are considered " fair game " for any malware writer and because almost everyone has flash and/or Java on their machine, people have learned to live with these popups, consider it normal behavior and don't think any further.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What happened... | Ethernet Ports on Mac Pro and Airport »