New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

iMac on OS 10.4.11: password prob w PPPoE

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

khave01

khave01 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm on a 4.5 year old iMac (desktop, 21 inch) running Mac OS 10.4.11 and I need to set up a PPPoE ethernet connection with a SpeedStream 5360 DSL modem. In the Sys Prefs-- Network-- PPPoE window I can't change the password to what it needs to be: it keeps bouncing back to the old password. The only dialog box choice I get is to "just once" change the password, but even then it doesn't take effect at all. How can I get the password I need in the PPPoE window to "stick" and take effect? Is this a Mac OS 10.4.11 glitch anyone's heard of? I've fished around in the Keychain controls, etc, but don't really know what I'm doing. (And I'm using Firefox as browser, if that matters at all.) Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Your best option may be to cancel your account, enter the browser URL and do a completely new setup from there with a new password. Cannot remember back to Tiger, but is it possible to set up a WPA Personal network which has much stronger encryption than WEP?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« clean install - do I have to reinstall all my purchased software programs | Opening a second instance of an application »