New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Connecting to server from Terminal in Lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

19birel

19birel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz i5 13" MBP antiglare 16gb RAM 500gb HD OSX 10.8.x

Hello everyone, I was wondering what I need to type into terminal to connect to my server. I was only able to find one command and it doesn't seem to work. I have two Linux Ubuntu 11.10 (latestest version) servers and can connect to neither. Thanks in advance.

Here is the command I have been using. ssh username@server name.***.***.***.***
^^IP address^^

I MISS SNOW LEOPARD ;(
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

This all depends how you're trying to connect - what protocol are you connecting over? From the looks of it, you're trying to connect over SSH which is only going to work if the ssh daemon is started and configured on the Ubuntu box.

Second, you don't need the server name and the IP - stick with just the IP:
Code:
ssh username@<IP>

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
This all depends how you're trying to connect - what protocol are you connecting over? From the looks of it, you're trying to connect over SSH which is only going to work if the ssh daemon is started and configured on the Ubuntu box.

Second, you don't need the server name and the IP - stick with just the IP:
Code:
ssh username@<IP>
Well, If I'm not mistaken my network is dhcp, but I tried that in place of ssh and got a command not found so i switched back to the ssh thing at the beginning. I would I start/congifure the ssh on the ubuntu box? or is that not what I need to do with the dhcp network setting?

I MISS SNOW LEOPARD ;(
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Where did you get the command not found?

How did you install Ubuntu? Usually when you do an install from a disc it installs the desktop version of Ubuntu - which doesn't provide most of the server stuff like ssh.
Enable Secure Shell (SSH) in Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal | Liberian Geek

Note that if you expose ssh to the internet (i.e. open it in your firewall - you will be brute-forced attacked but scripts constantly) If you are just trying to access your computer internally behind your firewall - it should be fine to use passwords.

ssh username@ip should work fine. The first one you tried I wouldn't expect to work.
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
Where did you get the command not found?

How did you install Ubuntu? Usually when you do an install from a disc it installs the desktop version of Ubuntu - which doesn't provide most of the server stuff like ssh.
Enable Secure Shell (SSH) in Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal | Liberian Geek

Note that if you expose ssh to the internet (i.e. open it in your firewall - you will be brute-forced attacked but scripts constantly) If you are just trying to access your computer internally behind your firewall - it should be fine to use passwords.

ssh username@ip should work fine. The first one you tried I wouldn't expect to work.
I installed it via USB, but it is the server version that doens't include the desktop environment. Essentially it's just the command line though a desktop mode can be enabled I believe . I tried ssh username@ip but it just adnvances the cursor to the next line. I'll try logging off the server and then see if that helps.

I MISS SNOW LEOPARD ;(
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19birel View Post
Well, If I'm not mistaken my network is dhcp, but I tried that in place of ssh and got a command not found so i switched back to the ssh thing at the beginning. I would I start/congifure the ssh on the ubuntu box? or is that not what I need to do with the dhcp network setting?
DHCP is not a connection protocol but a method of allocating IPs to clients. It has nothing to do with shares beyond giving machines on the network an IP address.

Ubuntu Server doesn't install SSH by default unless you explicitly select it during install (actually, I'm not even sure if it's an option - it's been a while since I installed it on my server). If you don't have it installed and configured, take a look at the Ubuntu server docs here. That's for version 11.10 - replace the version number in the URL with your version if you're using an older one.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

I'm now running into the permission denied issue when transfering files from the mac to server. How can I fix this?

I MISS SNOW LEOPARD ;(
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Have you successfully installed and configured SSH? Can you SSH in? If so, how are you trying to transfer the files (scp, sftp, smb, etc.)?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

Quote:
Have you successfully installed and configured SSH? Can you SSH in? If so, how are you trying to transfer the files (scp, sftp, smb, etc.)?
I got the SSH installed and connected to the mac via the mac's terminal (logged into the server) and executed the get filename command once in the files folder.

I MISS SNOW LEOPARD ;(
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Can you be a little more specific? What command are you executing and on what machine are you executing it on?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

Quote:
Can you be a little more specific? What command are you executing and on what machine are you executing it on?
Logged into the server I executed the get filename command. Here is an example

get document1.docx

I execute this when I am on the server remotely logged into the Mac & in one of its directories e.g. Documents.

I MISS SNOW LEOPARD ;(
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Are you using FTP? I only ask because get is an FTP command. This is only going to work if you have FTP setup.

If you want simple file transfer, look into scp. Take a look at this.

Here's a simple example. Let's say I want to copy "test_document" from my Mac to my Linux server. I can execute the following to do this:
Code:
scp test_document vansmith@192.168.2.6:/home/vansmith
That will copy test_document over to /home/vansmith on my Linux server over SSH.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

yea, scp isn't as 'user friendly' as ftp. Although you can always pipe a tarball through ssh

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

True but it doesn't require any setup beyond an SSH account (which is already setup). The syntax is manageable as well if you think of it like cp.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

I am using FTP which I setup. I'll try the SCP solution you mentioned as Vansmith.

I MISS SNOW LEOPARD ;(
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« no external disk access after lion-installation | Setting up Mail Server, Rumpus and Hosting a website on same mac mini running OS X Se »