New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Ethernet Ports on Mac Pro and Airport

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TRP

TRP is on a distinguished road

Hello all.
I work at a music production facility and we run several computers (3 Mac Pros and 1 PC) together as to share workload.

My question/problem is this: For several years we have been using the MIDI over ethernet connection that is available to us MAC users by connecting a cable from an ethernet port on one computer to the other. We are able to slave/master the machine controls of the programs that way. This took some working in the beginning (I'm not a network tech or do I play one on TV) but once it was stable it has worked great.

Recently we added a third computer to this configuration and are connecting that computer via ethernet to what we consider our central computer.

So now we have ethernet port 1 connected to for the central mac pro to mac pro number twos ethernet port as it always has, works great. Out of ethernet port 2 on the central mac pro we are connected to ethernet port 1 on the third mac pro, this is passing audio and midi data via ethernet, all is well.

The problem arises here: When I turn the airport on for the central computer it bumps the ethernet port two connection offline every time. I've tried many things, different ip addresses, different subnet masks, nothing has seemed to work.

Any ideas, anybody?

Thank you very much
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Leave subnet mask 255.255.255.0 on all ports.
For the Airport "port" set to Configure using DHCP.
For the 2 ethernet subnets, set to Configure manually.
Ethernet 1 - Central computer IP address 192.168.3.3 and 192.168.3.4 on Mac number two.
Ethernet 2 - Central computer 192.168.4.3 and 192.168.4.4 on last Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
TRP

TRP is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much I will give a try today and post the results.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keylogger | cant connect to verizon router »