New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS X lion, why so slow and stupid?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Pur3

Pur3 is on a distinguished road

I need some help, ever since I got Lion, it's an unfortunate pile of garbage. It's slow, takes way to long to boot or shut down, and the mouse/trackpad fails to work right.

One recent mouse pointer problem was when I tried to use rage maker(redditors will know) and the mouse wouldn't select anything. It also highlights some things but keeps them highlighted even if I move the mouse away, as though it doesn't know the pointer left.

Other problems I have result in the whole system being laggy(generic, right?).

I have a 17" MacBook Pro, with 8gb of ram and an i7 processor(basically got the best parts for january 2011).

OS X Lion is garbage. Can't wait for the next one, maybe it'll actually work :/
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Did you just upgrade to Lion or did you do a clean install and copied your files over?
I ask this because I just upgraded at first and it was slow/laggy/etc. I then did a clean install and brought my files back from a backup and it has been super fast with no problems whatsoever.
And I have a Late 2008 MBP thats way slower than yours.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
ericblue

ericblue is on a distinguished road

I had exactly the same problem. Tried all the tips I found on internet, upgraded the firmware and so on. To no avail.

Eventually I downgraded to Snow Leopard, and everything runs like a dream! Itīs so fast and I donīt miss the Lion "features" a single bit.
QUOTE Thanks
basicbart

basicbart is on a distinguished road

Ever since I upgraded to Lion, I have noticed extremely long start-up times, program open times, and performance issues. I have searched forums, Apple support communities, and all over the internet, and have found only one common issue - Lion is intolerant of things that Snow Leopard didn't care about.

I have cleaned up my computer - removing thousands of fonts, localization (removing language files), purging hundreds of HP printers I don't own, removing startup items, running scripts to stop the "restore state" IOS-like behavior.

All of this has led to a faster Lion experience. Not fast, just faster. I am convinced that it will never be as fast as SL. Now I spend some time every week with Onyx (free) and Cocktail, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. I run maintenance scripts, clear caches, and remove languages whenever there is an update to a program.

I still want to find other suggestions from users because that extra "nanosecond" is valuable.
Keep the suggestions flowing!

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

With laptops a clean install sure seems the way to go. Do a search of the forums looking at similar problems and most recommended cure is a clean install of Lion. This is nothing new. Clean installs were the preferred option way back in Jaguar days OS X.2 rather than the upgrade path.

If you purchased Lion, go to the App Store, hold Option and hit purchase and Lion will come up. Double cluck to download another copy f.o.c. and burn it to a USB thumb drive which will be bootable.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-...b-flash-drive/

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook pro | Lion and USB flash drives »