New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Please Help! iMac 27'' Display distortion? Stuck pixels?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Emilianne

Emilianne is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have an iMac 27'' (late 2009) and just this month it started having issues with the display. It all started out by having a few, stuck pixels on the screen occasionally, and has eventually turned into full blown screen distortion. I've erased and reinstalled snow leopard (10.6.4) and also updated to 10.6.8. Also, I ran diagnostics and didn't have any errors. When I turn the computer on in Safe Mode, there are no display issues, which is why I'm confused. If it were a hardware issue, (video card/logic board) wouldn't it 1. Show up in the diagnostics test, and 2. Also be present in safe mode?

The reason i'm posting on here, is because I live in Puerto Rico, and there aren't any Apple Stores here. Everywhere else wants to charge me $80.00+ to run diagnostics, which I have already done with zero erros.

Here are some pictures of what I'm seeing on my screen. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

IMG_20120311_131116.jpg

IMG_20120311_131106.jpg

IMG_20120311_131129.jpg

IMG_20120311_131100.jpg

IMG_20120311_172447.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
Emilianne

Emilianne is on a distinguished road

Oh, and also, the computer has never had any physical damage, like being bumped, and it has never had any issues with over-heating.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It does look like a graphics problem. If possible, run this test:

When the distortion shows up again, take a screen shot of your desktop. Observe the screenshot. If the distortion shows up on the screen shot, it's likely a hardware problem with the graphics. If the screen shot is clear, then the distortion is likely being caused by the LCD itself.

You can run the same test by hooking up an external monitor.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Change graphics card settings | Help- My usb stick will not allow thngs to be copied to it. »