New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help- My usb stick will not allow thngs to be copied to it.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aryanax

aryanax is on a distinguished road

I just recently bought a new macbook pro, I have tried to copy a piece of work i have done from the mbp to the usb stick but it won't copy as if it's not allowed, I have tried cmd v and c but they don't work i have tried dragging and dropping but that also doesn't work, any help would be extremely good Thaks, aryanax
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Its probably formated as NTFS. Try going into disk utility and reformat the stick as MS DOS FAT

If you need to copy single files files over 4 gig then choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the format

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

That would be unusual if a USB flash drive were formatted to NTFS from the factory. I guess it's possible but I have yet to see one that was. Normally they're formatted to FAT-32, even the large ones.

Check the flash drive to see if there is a "write" switch. I have several that contain a small write switch that must be set before you can write to the drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please Help! iMac 27'' Display distortion? Stuck pixels? | trouble with cwk documents »