New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

trouble with cwk documents

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aboomer

aboomer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook

I would love some help with transferring my cwk documents which disappeared when I upgraded to Lion. Didn't know this would happen.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You might fine your answers in how to open cwk files

The cwk file format was used for a few different types of data if I remember correctly. If that thread does not answer your questions please post with the type of file you are trying to convert.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Clarisworks was the forerunner of Appleworks, Apple purchased Claris in what, 1997 or so? As Appleworks does not run on Lion let alone Clarisworks, quite some research in front of you.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
aboomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
You might fine your answers in how to open cwk files

The cwk file format was used for a few different types of data if I remember correctly. If that thread does not answer your questions please post with the type of file you are trying to convert.
Thank you so much. They are just documents. I may copy and paste to my Word program. Slow work but might be the way:
QUOTE Thanks
aboomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Clarisworks was the forerunner of Appleworks, Apple purchased Claris in what, 1997 or so? As Appleworks does not run on Lion let alone Clarisworks, quite some research in front of you.
Thank you for the help. I hope I can copy and paste to my Word program
QUOTE Thanks
aboomer

I have an old Mac that has the documents. I will go there and copy to a disc.
I don't think I would have upgraded to Lion if I'd known I would lose things. I lost other things also.
I do have back up, but it's a pain!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Clarisworks was the forerunner of Appleworks, Apple purchased Claris in what, 1997 or so?
Time for me to change costume and become ... da da DA! ... PEDANTIC MAN!!

Actually, harryb, the story is a bit more complex than that, but the short version is that Apple never bought Claris.

Claris was (as you probably do know) spun off from Apple in 1987. At the time, there was a product called AppleWorks, but eventually Claris produced its own version (from scratch, amazingly enough). It eventually reached version 5, which appeared very briefly under the ClarisWorks name before being re-branded.

In 1998, Claris divested itself of all the former Apple products except one, and ClarisWorks was given to Apple, which renamed it AppleWorks (5.0). Claris kept Filemaker and rebranded itself FileMaker Inc. and continues to be a very successful company.

So AppleWorks was the forerunner of ClarisWorks which was the forerunner of AppleWorks!

My work here is done, citizens. I must go -- somewhere on the internet, someone is WRONG and needs CORRECTION!

(flies off)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Also chas... let's not forget during that time they actually produced a version for Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
aboomer

Thank you all. W?ill my computer change the cwk to the proper format if I download from a copy CD
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Either that or download this version and use on your old Mac, whatever it is:-

ClarisWorks for Mac - Download.com

You will still have the problem of running this old program on Lion which does not support PowerPC, or relier, programs.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help- My usb stick will not allow thngs to be copied to it. | The 10.7.3 update is ready for download, but be aware !!! Read on. »