Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Cube

  1. #1


    Member Since
    Mar 10, 2012
    Posts
    6
    Cube
    Hi all,

    I'm a first timer here. I used to have a family member who would solve all my Mac problems but he seems to have disappeared due to the overload.

    I have a Mac Cube G4 on my desk which is to be used by a friend for running Office basically. It had System 9.2 on so I installed 10.3 which is the only version I have on CD.

    It then occurred to me that I have an external DVD drive but the Cube resolutely refuses to allow me to start up from the external.

    How do I overcome this or am I stuck with 10.3?? It would be nice to get it running with up to date stuff.

    Thanks for any replies.

    Gordon

  2. #2

    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Is the DVD connected via Firewire? If so, it should work starting up in 'Target Mode' (pressing T on startup).

    If it's a USB DVD, it won't work - your best bet would be an external Firewire drive or HDD with the OS image on it.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge


  3. #3


    Member Since
    Mar 10, 2012
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
    Is the DVD connected via Firewire? If so, it should work starting up in 'Target Mode' (pressing T on startup).

    If it's a USB DVD, it won't work - your best bet would be an external Firewire drive or HDD with the OS image on it.
    Thanks for the reply. Its a USB only drive by Iomega - quite old but works well.

    I have a 1tB external but thats USB only too!! I have some old Firewire drives upstairs but they had become a bit unreliable. I'll dig one out and see if they will work. How does the disk image of the OS work?

  4. #4

    Zoolook's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,756
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by gus3049 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Its a USB only drive by Iomega - quite old but works well.

    I have a 1tB external but thats USB only too!! I have some old Firewire drives upstairs but they had become a bit unreliable. I'll dig one out and see if they will work. How does the disk image of the OS work?
    Use disk utility to create an image of the DVD on the HDD from within OS X. I am not sure how advanced Panther's tools are, I can't remember that far back, but I think you can do it.

    It goes without saying that the new OS X disc must be a retail version, not one that shipped with a Mac. Partly because of the EULA or mainly because it won't actually worth otherwise.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge


  5. #5


    Member Since
    Mar 10, 2012
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
    Use disk utility to create an image of the DVD on the HDD from within OS X. I am not sure how advanced Panther's tools are, I can't remember that far back, but I think you can do it.

    It goes without saying that the new OS X disc must be a retail version, not one that shipped with a Mac. Partly because of the EULA or mainly because it won't actually worth otherwise.
    Sorry to be thick but.... how does this work. I have made a disk image on the Firewire drive. When I try and load it, it says restart as usual but then what? If I press T then I just get the Firewire sign with no access and if I don't press T, it just goes back to the usual Cube desktop.

    Amateurs huh?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. G4 Cube Help
    By emadrid007 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2008, 04:02 AM
  2. G4 Cube help
    By emadrid007 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 08:19 PM
  3. Cube
    By nicklwj in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2005, 07:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •