New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Chrome and battery life

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ajaxwoolley

ajaxwoolley is on a distinguished road

What actions can i take to improve battery life using Chrome on my 15" MB Pro (late 2011) on Lion?
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Believe it or not, it's probably Flash.

Check out Activity Monitor while Chrome is open. Adobe Flash is probably 30%CPU ALL THE TIME.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I had a similar thread when I first started using Chrome.

Try using GfxCardStatus. Occasionally, Chrome will kick on the discrete graphics chip in your MBP, which definitely consumes a lot more power. This will help you to enforce the integrated graphics instead.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxwoolley View Post
What actions can i take to improve battery life using Chrome on my 15" MB Pro (late 2011) on Lion?
Is the battery life significantly worse than when using Safari or Firefox?

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
ajaxwoolley

Thanks for the suggestions @MAcsWork and @cwa107. I'll look onto it.

@Zoolook I haven't done a well controlled comparison yet. I use Google Apps on Chrome for work from home office and so have never had to question the power consumption. I might have firefox or safari open at the same time for "personal" surfing from time to time, or just another chrome window. Had a MB Air 11" for desktop on the go.

Recently I consolidated my operations into my new favorite non-living object, my 15" MB Pro (Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB), and I have been slightly disappointed in the amount of "away from the power cable" time I'm getting.

I use a couple other power/graphics intensive apps (Parallels 7 Running quickbooks premier, Sketchup Pro 8), but no video editing, gaming, or other graphics-intensive applications. I suspend the virtual machine in Parallels before sleeping, close smaller apps I'm not using for a while, etc... But I seem to only get about 3-3.5 hours of working time, net.

So my question came not so much from having a sense of browser comparison, more so from initial troubleshooting about how to configure my settings to get the most mobility.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

For comparison, I have the 2GHz Core i7 with the lower end AMD GPU. With GfxCardStatus forcing integrated graphics and running just Chrome, Mail and TotalFinder, I generally get about 6-6.5 hours.

With Safari in place of Chrome, I'll get more like 7 hours of runtime.

That's in my "low power" mode. Start to introduce other applications - particularly VMWare Fusion, iTunes, the Mac App Store or anything that has regular communication with the Internet, and it will drop pretty dramatically.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Both Chrome and Firefox will force the discrete GFX by default, lowering battery life considerably.

I noticed a bug in GfxcardStatus where if you have power switching enabled (which forces integrated use on battery power), it only works if you boot up into batter power, or disconnect from the mains while the machine is awake. If you disconnect in sleep mode, then wake it, it will continue to use the discrete chip.

Aside from that, it's a great tool for forcing switching based on power supply.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
ajaxwoolley

All very helpful feedback, thanks. I almost never need flash, so easy enough to disable the plugin until I need it. I'll run the GfxcardStatus as well, with the advance knowledge of the aforementioned "bug".
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro is damaged, won't show the disk. | Mac OS Lion vs Microsoft Office 2004 »