New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Need to access /Users without root account

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Krazypoloc

Krazypoloc is on a distinguished road

Have a question about a backup job I am trying to run as user "admin" to backup everything in /Users...is there a way to make All of /Users readable to "admin" without using any sudo or root access?

This is for a Backuppc rsync job that is using PKA to connect to the client OSX machine.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

without using sudo or root? No.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You can easily make /Users readable globally by changing the permissions on the folders but I'd highly discourage you from doing that.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Krazypoloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
without using sudo or root? No.
So there is no way for any other account than root to access /Users recursively? I have root and sudo access and can change the perms on this folder, but am not sure what to change them to.

If still not, would running the backuppc job as sudo have the effect I want?
QUOTE Thanks
Krazypoloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
You can easily make /Users readable globally by changing the permissions on the folders but I'd highly discourage you from doing that.
Yeah I don't want to make it globally readable....
QUOTE Thanks
Krazypoloc

Found the solution here.

Running Rsync and Sudo over SSH | TechniTip.Net

Clip from the article..

Quote:
I often use rsync for doing backups. But if you want to do a remote backup and want to backup files and directories which are owned by different users or the root user running using rsync is difficult if you have disabled root login in your sshd_config using the statement PermitRootLogin no. For sure this is the recommended setting if your server to backup has a public IP address.
A nice and easy solution which works best for me is to use sudo. This will allow to run rsync via ssh and sudo. To get it running you have to add an entry into your sudoers config file:
/etc/sudoers
backup_user ALL=(root)NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/rsync
This will allow the user backup_user to run the command rsync as root.
Next step is to add an rsync-path parameter to the remote rsync call:
rsync --rsync-path="sudo rsync" backup_user@myhosttobackup.net:/root /backup_directory
Finally rsync will automatically do an sudo to root on the remote server and all to backup all files owned by root as well.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazypoloc View Post
is there a way to make All of /Users readable to "admin" without using any sudo or root access?
You specifically asked us if there was a way to do this without using sudo. You now tell us that the solution you found uses sudo.

Okaaay ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with multiple .cdr files please! | Keyboard shortcut for navigating dialogue box in Lion »