New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Snow Leopard to Lion or Mountain Lion?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

billwill

billwill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 8 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi/4G iPad, 32GB iPhone 5

I'm running Snow Leopard. f I want to go to Mountain Lion, can I wait and go to ML or will I have to go to Lion first, then Mountain Lion?

Also, if I go from SL to Lion within the next day or two, will I see any "major" changes to layout or anything? Thanks for your help.

"Laughter is an instant vacation"
- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwill View Post
I'm running Snow Leopard. f I want to go to Mountain Lion, can I wait and go to ML or will I have to go to Lion first, then Mountain Lion?
No one knows at this time, but I suspect that as long as your Mac meets the minimum ML specs at the time of release you can upgrade directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwill View Post
Also, if I go from SL to Lion within the next day or two, will I see any "major" changes to layout or anything? Thanks for your help.
All I can say is take a look at the Lion pages at the Apple site and do a thread search here at the Forum.
Obviously there are changes; the biggest IMO is dropping legacy support for older software. So, before changing you should verify Lion compatiblity with software you currently use and own.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

If you look at how Lion was deployed. To upgrade to Lion from an existing installation of OS X, it had to be Snow Leopard. People running Leopard had to upgrade to Snow Leopard and then Lion or do a clean install of Lion.

I'm guessing that Mountain Lion is going to working in a similar fashion, the users in the most recent version of OS X will always have the easiest path the latest version released, while the other users will have to do intermediate upgrades or clean installs to jump revisions..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The name "Mountain Lion" strongly implies that you will need to be running Lion first.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
The name "Mountain Lion" strongly implies that you will need to be running Lion first.
Not necessarily..Snow Leopard has the word "Leopard" in it and turned out to be cosmetic changes to Leopard rather than changing core functionality. Lion did have that change and Mountain Lion would most likely also be cosmetic changes..

Upgrading to Lion required Snow Leopard, and nothing in the name implied this..just the fact that Snow Leopard was the previous release of OS X..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

@billwill:

This thread was moved to the proper forum. The iOS and Apps forum is for mobile devices. Please read forum descriptions before posting. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport utility ver 6 Lion problem | Help~Disc Drive Wont Respond! »