New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

lynx man page

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

steveray100

steveray100 is on a distinguished road

installed lynx. When I run it in Terminal it runs fine. But, when I enter the command 'man lynx' it says it has no manual entry. Yet the folder that contains all the files that I compiled to install lynx has a man page named: lynx.man . I can open the file with an app called ManOpen . but where do I put this file so that it opens in Terminal when i type 'man lynx' ?
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

You need to add it to your MANPATH so that the man command knows where to look for it.

Code:
export MANPATH=$MANPATH:/path/to/manfolder
And if you don't know about this already, Homebrew makes installing CL apps way easier if they have it in their repositories.
One command and it downloads/compiles/installs and your done!
Homebrew ? MacPorts driving you to drink? Try Homebrew!

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
steveray100

so I would enter in Terminal:

export MANPATH=$MANPATH:/Documents

The Documents folder is where I have the lynx.man file.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The man page should have been installed when you executed "make install." Did you install it or just build it?

Here's another recommendation for Homebrew - it's free, simple and quick.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
steveray100

in terminal I changed to the folder that contained all the lynx stuff
then I ran

. /configure

it did its thing and then I ran

make

then I ran

sudo make install

everything went find lynx was installed but like I said, if I run 'man lynx'
i get 'no manual entry for lynx'
this is my manpath:
usr/share/man:/usr/X11/man:/Users/steveray/Documents

and I'm still getting 'no manual entry for lynx'

yet /Users/steveray/Documents is where the lynx.man file is located.

should i copy the lynx.man file to usr/share/man ?
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Well, the script does install the man file, to /usr/local/man/man1
I have added it to my man paths but it still errors out.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

I installed it through Homebrew and the man page works fine here. Maybe you could consider installing it that way.

Looking at the makefile, it would appear that it is placing the man page in the man1 folder as you'd expect. Interestingly however, I don't even have a MANPATH variable set and it works fine here:
Code:
~/Downloads/lynx2-8-7 :: /usr/libexec/path_helper -s
PATH="/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin"; export PATH;
It makes me wonder what Homebrew has done in the background.

EDIT: The only man path I have set is /usr/X11/share/man (for X11 stuff) in my /etc/manpaths.d/ folder. However, Lynx's man page is not there. I'll do a quick search and see what I come up with.

EDIT 2: Well, I can't find lynx's man page. Hmmm....

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

OP: Moving the man file to the /usr/share/man/man1 folder will make it work.

I tried to get man to load the manfile from the default install location. You can specifty the path where man has to look for the manfile with man -M /usr/local/man/man1/ lynx but even then it didn't load it.
I must be overlooking something huge here…

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
I must be overlooking something huge here…
You and me both.

I'm intrigued to know why the man page wasn't installed in the right location. What is the output of the following:
Code:
sudo find / -name lynx.1 -print
By the way, I found out where Homebrew installs man pages (/usr/local/share/man/man1/).

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

The Lynx source man file location, /usr/local/man/man1/lynx.1
Homebrew man file location, /usr/local/share/man/man1/lynx.1

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« keyboard language change | daylight savings time- when does it change? »