New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Xcode Failed to Install G++

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Shoal

Shoal is on a distinguished road

Hi all.

Just days ago I installed Xcode from the App Store, but then when I went to the terminal prompt I discovered that the g++ command wasn't there. What gives? Everyone tells me it's supposed to be there, and I need it...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

It should be there but you wouldn't be the first person missing the links. Execute the following commands to set the links:
Code:
sudo ln -s /Developer/usr/bin/llvm-g++-4.2 /usr/bin/g++
Code:
sudo ln -s /Developer/usr/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2 /usr/bin/gcc

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Shoal

It says "udo" command not found.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Oops, that was my inability to copy and paste.

Commands fixed.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Shoal

The line to enter g++ didn't seem to work. It gave me a very grave warning that I was probably about the screw up my machine and then asked me for my password. I entered it, pressed enter, and was unceremoniously returned to the prompt with no sign of success or failure. Entering in the line again says, "Line exists." But here's the thing: it still tells me no g++ command exists.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

When it completes, you don't get a warning or success message. In fact, having nothing printed back is a good sign.

What does the following return?
Code:
echo $PATH

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Shoal

It returns:

Code:
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Well, /usr/bin is in your PATH (as it should be) and there is a symlink there called "g++" to the g++ binary installed by Xcode. Do you at least have success executing llvm-g++-4.2 from /Developer/usr/bin/?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Shoal

Is "llvm-g++-4.2" a command that needs to be run from a specific directory? (You're dealing with a guy who has lots of DOS experience but virtually zero Unix command line experience. I have to look up how to change directories...)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

cd = change directory.

You can simply execute /Developer/usr/bin/llvm-g++-4.2 or "cd" into /Developer/usr/bin and then type "./llvm-g++-4.2" (without the quotes).

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Shoal

It says "no such file or directory" when I enter "/Developer/usr/bin/llvm-g++-4.2".

Would it make any difference to say I have Xcode 4.3?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Yes, absolutely. Xcode 4.3 doesn't install the tools by default. Go to Xcode > Preferences > Downloads > Components > install "Command Line Tools."

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Shoal

Works just fine now, thanks a lot for all your help!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can't boot cloned drive | Need to "wipe" personal info from MacBook »