How to correctly reinstall Lion?
    Hello everyone!

I bought a late 2011 macbook pro 13", the simplest model, about 3 months ago.

Lion is running considerably slower than it was when I bought it. I don't know if I have been adding too much stuff, or what.

So I want to reinstall everything from scratch.

The thing is, I don't have the lion image. How can I download it? Also, my macbook was bought for me in Japan by a friend, and he entered a random credential on App Store - he doesn't remember the login, password and email. Will this be a problem?

THanks everyone!

A random credential? Seriously? In other words, he stole it using someone else's account?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    The thing is, I don't have the lion image. How can I download it? Also, my macbook was bought for me in Japan by a friend, and he entered a random credential on App Store - he doesn't remember the login, password and email. Will this be a problem?
    Yes, it will be a problem. Without a valid Apple ID you will be unable to access the App store to make any purchases. It's probably best to create your own Apple ID and password with Apple and purchase Lion for $29.99. Then, you'll have your own copy and can re-download anytime later on for free.

In the meantime, why do you think you have to reinstall Lion? Mac OS X is not Windows where it has to be reinstalled many times. Rarely if ever, should you have to reinstall.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    A random credential? Seriously? In other words, he stole it using someone else's account?
    Yes, unfotunately he never used any macs before (neither had I), and since he bought it in Japan, I told him to test it before bringing it here to Brazil - when prompted about the apple id, I told him to just create some email and insert anything there, because I would reformat everything anyway (I'm used to Windows notebooks, with loads of bloatware, so I thought it would be necessary).

I thought that the Apple Id was like a Login account, easily replaceable if necessary.

I wish it was stolen, I would save a lot of cash! Just kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Yes, it will be a problem. Without a valid Apple ID you will be unable to access the App store to make any purchases. It's probably best to create your own Apple ID and password with Apple and purchase Lion for $29.99. Then, you'll have your own copy and can re-download anytime later on for free.

In the meantime, why do you think you have to reinstall Lion? Mac OS X is not Windows where it has to be reinstalled many times. Rarely if ever, should you have to reinstall.
    I'm using my own Apple ID, that I had on my iPhone and iPad. Guess I'll have to repurchase not only Lion, but iLife as well.

I was going to reinstall Lion because it was quite slow, but I did that "repair permissions" thing, and now it seems that a clean install won't be necessary. Perhaps I should buy a SSD drive too!

Thanks for the answers guys!

Specs:
    mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mig_akira View Post
    Yes, unfotunately he never used any macs before (neither had I), and since he bought it in Japan, I told him to test it before bringing it here to Brazil - when prompted about the apple id, I told him to just create some email and insert anything there, because I would reformat everything anyway (I'm used to Windows notebooks, with loads of bloatware, so I thought it would be necessary).

I thought that the Apple Id was like a Login account, easily replaceable if necessary.

I wish it was stolen, I would save a lot of cash! Just kidding!

I'm using my own Apple ID, that I had on my iPhone and iPad. Guess I'll have to repurchase not only Lion, but iLife as well.

I was going to reinstall Lion because it was quite slow, but I did that "repair permissions" thing, and now it seems that a clean install won't be necessary. Perhaps I should buy a SSD drive too!

Thanks for the answers guys!
    if you are not in a rush to get the lion, wail till sept or so get the Mountain lion which will save you some dough.

Quote Originally Posted by ycl1688 View Post
    if you are not in a rush to get the lion, wail till sept or so get the Mountain lion which will save you some dough.
    Great advice, almost forgot that Mountain Lion is almost here!

Thanks!

Thread Information