New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Time Machine drive question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tater2Stock

Tater2Stock is on a distinguished road

I bought a 2TB drive to use as my time machine drive. Let it use the entire disk. I am seeing now that I am only using just over 500mb. Is there any way to re-partition the drive to have 1TB for the time machine and the other 1TB as a separate drive. I really do not want to have to start the Time Machine all over again.

iMac 21.5 late 2009
...turning into an iMovie junky.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Use Disk Utility from Applications, Utilities, to partition the drive. However, you may wind up wiping out your previous backups made with Time Machine which means you'll have to start over again. It's possible to partition the drive without destroying data, however, that depends on where the backup images are on the drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Tater2Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Use Disk Utility from Applications, Utilities, to partition the drive. However, you may wind up wiping out your previous backups made with Time Machine which means you'll have to start over again. It's possible to partition the drive without destroying data, however, that depends on where the backup images are on the drive.
So is there anyway to know when I am in the disk utility if it will wipe out all of the backups before I say "go" or is it just a "let 'er rip" and hope it works out?

iMac 21.5 late 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Tater2Stock

Thank you chscag for the assistance. Fired up the Disk Utility and it was as simple as altering the size of the "box" that represented the partition size. Applied the change and it took about 15 minutes and the original Time Machine partition was now at 1TB. That left the rest of the disk as "unused" space. Assigned it as a partition, it reformatted it and now is is perfect.

Thanks a ton for your assistance!

iMac 21.5 late 2009
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You got lucky and had enough space to create the new partition without interfering with what was already on the drive. Glad to hear it. Have fun and visit us often.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Interval Since Last Panic Report Message | Can't download certain things from the internet. »