New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

is reinstalling java necessary?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newguy2

newguy2 is on a distinguished road

Hi..New macbook owner as of 2 weeks ago. I use an online trading system that has a java component. When I minimize that window and then maximize it again, the page freezes and becomes unusable. Contacted the site and got a very knowledgeable guy. He spent 15 minutes with me and said he felt that Java had to be uninstalled and reinstalled again and suggested I contact Apple for instructions. I did so and the person looked up my problem on a chart..said there might be an issue and said the entire operating system had to be uninstalled/ reinstalled. and had to be brought into them. The guy at the trading website said that sounded a bit much. So, does anyone have any real world experience with this type of issue that could give me some input? Does what Ive been told so far sound right?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Reinstalling the OS to fix a minor Java issue is the definition of excessive. Whoever told you to do that sounds like my old IT boss - "doesn't work? Reinstall Windows!"

It's possible that this is browser specific. Although the plug-in itself is the same, each browser manages them differently. Have you tried different browsers? What browser are you using right now?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
newguy2

Hi Van...kind of thought the same thing. No, its not browser specific. Occurred on Safari, Chrome and Firefox. Apple said to try firefox as chrome and safari are similar The guy at the trading website cleared the caches, tried changing the default to 64 bit from 32 , which was listed first, and a bunch of other things. He said that he had limited success trying to uninstall / reinstall java himself but thought that you could do it by dragging it to the recycle bin and then downloading/ installing it again. Im thinking of calling Apple again and ask for someone who actually has hands on experience in this type of matter because the original person I spoke to admitted that he takes the problem , enters it into a program and it spits out remedies. What do you think?,,john
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Although Safari and Chrome both use the same layout engine, everything else is different. It wouldn't hurt to try but I'm going to guess that it won't work.

Java can't be uninstalled simply by trashing it - the installer litters files all over the filesystem so by trashing one part, you're only getting rid of a small portion. What version of Java are you using? Open up /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app to find out. Is the 32 or 64bit plugin the default? Either way, try switching them by dragging them up or down.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
newguy2

Did the switch with the 64 vs 32..that was what I was trying to say earlier but probably didnt verbalize it correctly. In any event, it made no difference.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cannot delete desktop files | Bad HardDrive »