New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Don't understand Time Machine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

swoosta

swoosta is on a distinguished road

I plugged in a external hard drive and backed up macbook to it. The drive is now disconnected so how when I click on the time machine app can I see the mac in time machine mode going back yesterday?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I am guessing that the mac stores when the last back-up happened and when the next ones are scheduled in a local prefs file, not on the back-up (although settings are backes up as well0

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosta View Post
I plugged in a external hard drive and backed up macbook to it. The drive is now disconnected so how when I click on the time machine app can I see the mac in time machine mode going back yesterday?
I'm guessing you're running OS X 10.7 (Lion), yes?

If so, note that Lion does a local backup cache. It will continue to run backups of document revisions locally and then sync them up to the external when it's available. So, you'll always see backups available regardless of the status of that drive.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
swoosta

swoosta is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your help
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Snow Leopard Installation | Managing stand alone macbook pros »