New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Download/Upload Speeds

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hooverdeuce

Hooverdeuce is on a distinguished road

Hello, I am looking for advice for my now "ancient" MAC.

Details:
Powerbook G4 15"
Processor: 1.67 GHz PowerPC G4
Memory: 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM

My computer's download/upload speed is nowhere near the capacity of my cable internet service. I don't think it's a modem/router issue because we tested my GF's newer MAC and it's running up to speed with the service specs. I've also connected my computer directly into the modem (no wireless) and the speed is still slow.

My stats: 5.18 down, 2.09 up
My GF's stats: 35 down, 5 up

I'm wondering if my computer is working at it's max speed and is just too old to operate at the full bandwidth of my service?

Any tips or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Ravenx2012

Ravenx2012 is on a distinguished road

check your network settings under proxy tab check and see if auto detect proxy is checked. Mine wasn't and it took months with everyone scratching their heads to figure this out. Not saying this is the problem for you, but brand new mac out of the box would crawl downloading files. If I ran parallels and tried downloading using IE, downloads were fast as they should be. Drove me crazy. Anyhow that fixed it for me .. good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Have you compared ethernet results against Airport (wifi) results?
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Oh - I see you did try ethernet.
Any chance your laptop connects at 802.11g speeds and hers at 802.11n?
My 802.11g laptop gets 10 down, 4 up, while my ethernet computers get 33 down, 10 up.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems since Snow Leopard installation | patch os x to change alias suffix »