New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

external harddrive not visible on desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

3LS

3LS is on a distinguished road

it is a new MacBookPro with Lion....I can see the external hard drive on the desktop (however I can see on the finder). What to do?
I am new to the forum. Thanks in advance for your help!
L.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Click on the Finder "preferences", click on the "general" tab. Place a check in the box that says "External disks" under the title "Show these items on the Desktop".
QUOTE Thanks
3LS

Thank you! It helped. Now I have a slightly different problem. In my previous mac when I used to lounge iPhoto or iTunes, the app would immediately connect to my external harddrive (which is where I keep my pics and music) and then show me all the files. In my new Mac iTunes and iPhoto are not automatically doing that (and I understand it should not), but how do I configure it in such a way that it does that?
Many thanks,
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If I am understanding the problem correctly adding the hard drive to your login items should make the drive available for iTunes and iPhoto. Make sure the drive is connected and powered on. Then go into the Accounts preference pane and select "Login Items". Click the plus sign and add the drive to the login items.

This mounts the drive at every login whether you will be using those programs or not. I used to run an Automator workflow that I ran by double clicking it. The workflow attempted to connect with my library then launched iTunes. I used it with a Time Capsule but I bet a similar procedure would work with an external drive.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
3LS

Thanks. All I want is that when I lounge iTunes or iPhoto that it looks for the library in my external harddrive. it is not doing that now. Most of the time I do not have the external hard drive connected to the mac. Only when I need to use iTunes or iPhoto and to search other files + time machine. In the suggestion you are giving me here, is that what will happen? I am not sure what you mean by "every log in", do you mean every log in of iTunes or iPhoto? is it the same as lounging? I may just be lost in translation here. Apologies.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

By login I mean each time you start your user account. It would not matter what you are planning to do on the computer. If you only want to look for the drive when using iTunes or iPhoto don't add the drive to your login items. It sounds like you only want to look for the drive when you launch iTunes or iPhoto.

I can't test the Automator workflow at the moment to see if it could be modified to work with an external drive but I might be able to test it later today.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
3LS

Great. Thanks! Whenever you can it'd be great.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ethernet down | Error code -36 and -50 when copying/opening files »