New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Adding Old emails to a new mailbox from Desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Slotype

Slotype is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 PPC Dual 2 gig 6gig ram 10.5.3 and a G4 Mirror Door dual 1.25 2 gig ram

Hi, I have used a USB key to transfer emails from a PC to my friend's all Black Macbook and they are safely on the desktop of the Macbook running 10.6.
My friend has created a mailbox in Mail and wants to get these old emails from the desktop into the said mailbox under "On My Mac" heading.
I tried to drag them in, copy them over, all to no avail.
I thought if I found where the On My Mac lives I can put them in there and then start Mail and they would appear, can't find where "On My Mac" is on the machine, if anyone knows how I can get these emails into a Mail mailbox I'd be grateful . . short of sending them individually to myself and forwarding them on to this mail account of course :-) Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You need to export the email messages from Outlook Express or Outlook (whichever your friend is using) on the PC. You can not bare copy email messages to the Mac desktop and import them into the Mail program. There are conversion programs that will convert the exported email on the PC to a format that can be imported into the Mail program.
QUOTE Thanks
Slotype

Slotype is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 PPC Dual 2 gig 6gig ram 10.5.3 and a G4 Mirror Door dual 1.25 2 gig ram

Thanks very much Chscag, the emails are on Windows Live, but are POP3 at least and not imap. I tried to export, copy and archive, but now I realize I need a little application to do a conversion. Thank you for your time and help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Inactive Window Scrolling not working? | How to Completely Clear Out All HP Printer Files? »