New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Best way to back up Windows 7 files on Mac HD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacLover2011

MacLover2011 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: i Mac OS X Lion

Hello again,
I want to back up the photos and video files on my wife's Windows 7 Computer. What's the best way to do this with an iMac and/or it's Mac external hard drive?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
I want to back up the photos and video files on my wife's Windows 7 Computer. What's the best way to do this with an iMac and/or it's Mac external hard drive?
If I understand you correctly, your wife's machine is a PC running Windows 7? If it is, the best way to backup her photos and videos is to use the built in Windows 7 backup program. Which by the way, is a very good one. All you need is an external drive formatted to NTFS and follow the directions given in the easy to read help file for the Win 7 backup program. It will even make an image backup if desired in addition to backing up files and folders.

I do not recommend using your iMac or a Mac formatted external drive since that will only complicate the process.
QUOTE Thanks
MacLover2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
If I understand you correctly, your wife's machine is a PC running Windows 7? If it is, the best way to backup her photos and videos is to use the built in Windows 7 backup program. Which by the way, is a very good one. All you need is an external drive formatted to NTFS and follow the directions given in the easy to read help file for the Win 7 backup program. It will even make an image backup if desired in addition to backing up files and folders.

I do not recommend using your iMac or a Mac formatted external drive since that will only complicate the process.
Okay thanks. I will have to get her a external hard drive to back up her files.
By the way, I dragged some large folders to my time machine external hard drive so I will have the files on two hard drives. I don't plan on putting any more files in the time machine hard drive. Is it safe to do that?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
By the way, I dragged some large folders to my time machine external hard drive so I will have the files on two hard drives. I don't plan on putting any more files in the time machine hard drive. Is it safe to do that?
See my other reply to you. It should be safe as long as you don't mix backups on the same external hard drive. You can store other files on the external but not other backups.
QUOTE Thanks
MacLover2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
See my other reply to you. It should be safe as long as you don't mix backups on the same external hard drive. You can store other files on the external but not other backups.
I did not partition the hard drive for my time machine. However, I do have two separate folders, one where time machine puts all of its files and another folder where I dragged the other file. I sure hope I didn't mess things up. I will read your other answer to me.
By the way, what happens if I unplug my time machine back up and time machine is wants to do another back up?
I have a lot to learn with time machine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac keeps randomly waking up? | I-Tunes Radio »