New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Turning OFF Time Machine?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacLover2011

MacLover2011 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: i Mac OS X Lion

I finally got Time Machine to work last night. It's been backing up every hour. I have a 3 TB external hard drive and a 2 TB internal HD. Should I be running it every hour? How do I turn off Time Machine and is it safe to? I don't think I should be backing up every hour should I?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

It'll only backup changes so it's a not really an issue to be honest.

But if you do want to tweak the Time Machine schedule try this:
TimeMachineEditor

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
MacLover2011

Thanks. I am also backing up files on to my time machine hd from another hd. That shouldn't be an issue should it?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLover2011 View Post
Thanks. I am also backing up files on to my time machine hd from another hd. That shouldn't be an issue should it?
Not a good idea to mix Time Machine backups on the same drive without first partitioning the drive. It could become very confusing if and when you need to do a restore.
QUOTE Thanks
MacLover2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Not a good idea to mix Time Machine backups on the same drive without first partitioning the drive. It could become very confusing if and when you need to do a restore.
Oh no. I already dragged files over. I don't plan on dragging any other files over. Do you think it will be okay?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

It should be OK, provided you don't mix backups from several drives onto the one external hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
MacLover2011

Quote:
It should be OK, provided you don't mix backups from several drives onto the one external hard drive.
This is what it looks like. I took a screen shot. Like I said, I just wanted to have a back up of a back up on this hard drive that happens to have time machine on it. They told me in the Apple Store I could do that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg timem.jpg (79.3 KB, 31 views)
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

AFIK thats perfectly fine, just don't put anything in the Backups.backupdb file.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
MacLover2011

Hope you guys don't mind another question. I now want to use one of my external hard drives that I already formatted for my OS X Lion iMac on my wife's Windows 7 computer. Will Windows 7 even see an external hard drive that is formatted in Mac OS Journaled? I can't seem to find it in Windows 7 to reformat it as NTSF? Should I reformat it as FAT and then Windows 7 will see it so I can format it in Windows 7 as NTSF?
Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Windows 7 = open Disk Manager. The drive will be seen as unknown format. Highlight the drive, select one partition (the entire drive), then select format. It will automatically format it to NTFS. You can not format a drive that large to FAT-32 from Windows 7.
QUOTE Thanks
MacLover2011

Quote:
Windows 7 = open Disk Manager. The drive will be seen as unknown format. Highlight the drive, select one partition (the entire drive), then select format. It will automatically format it to NTFS. You can not format a drive that large to FAT-32 from Windows 7.
Thanks. So I just leave it as a Mac Journaled then and still reformat it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Strange headers for the "Downloads" folder | Storage on MacBook Pro - None left ? »