New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac os x 10.5 Software update.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mediatesalmon40

Mediatesalmon40 is on a distinguished road

hello every body, i just had my hard drive replaced. The computer tech installed the os x 10.5(leopard) on the computer. So i tried to update whatever is there to be updated. I downloaded the files for update which were about 750-800 mb worth. However when the computer restarts and the update begins, it gets stuck a few minutes later & just wont advance(tried 3 times). As a result of not being able to update i am not able to use itunes & other programes properly.
Could it be possible the tech installed a corrupt version or did something wrong during installation ? Is there a solution for this ? Would it be possible to install Snow leopard from a CD, which i had previously used in my older hard drive. Or do i need to buy a new copy of snow leopard. Also i know apple is releasing Mountain lion soon, would i need to install lion to have Mountain lion or can i skip from leopard/snow leopard to Mountain lion ?
Help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

M.S40
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

What's the exact version of OS 10.5 you have at the moment?

If you don't know how to find this...go to:

- Apple Menu
- About This Mac

This window will have the info. It should be in the format 10.5.x

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Mediatesalmon40

it just says
"Mac OS X 10.5 (9A581)"
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediatesalmon40 View Post
it just says
"Mac OS X 10.5 (9A581)"
You got this info from the "About This Mac" window?

If so...that's kind of strange. It should be something like 10.5.0, 10.5.1, 10.5.6, 10.5.8, etc. The "(9A581)" is strange.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Mediatesalmon40

It just says "Mac os x Version 10.5" when i click about this mac. The earlier info came from when i clicked More info>Software.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Perhaps I missed it but what are the Mac's specs?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
The earlier info came from when i clicked More info>Software.
Ahh...you went further than you were supposed to.

Sounds like you may have OS 10.5.0 then.

Try downloading and installing the OS 10.5 "Combo Update":

Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Would it be possible to install Snow leopard from a CD, which i had previously used in my older hard drive.
To answer this question. As "Slydude" asked...we need to know your computers specs before we can answer the questions regarding Snow Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mediatesalmon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Perhaps I missed it but what are the Mac's specs?
Model Name: Mac
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
SMC Version: 1.31f1

M.S 40
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Model Name: Mac
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Yes...you can install Snow Leopard or Lion on this computer. As far as Mountain Lion. Considering that it is an unreleased version of the Mac OS...kind of hard to give any definite answers.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mediatesalmon40

Thanks guys, slydude & Pigoo3. Will try to do the combo update & hopefully it should work.
cheers
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Thanks guys, slydude & Pigoo3. Will try to do the combo update & hopefully it should work.
cheers
You're very welcome.

Personally (unless you have software that requires OS 10.5)...I would at least install OS 10.6 Snow Leopard. It's only $29US (probably similarly inexpensive where you are).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using "Thunderbolt" to conect to TV | Adress Book Managing Smart Groups »