New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Safari keeps "Not Responding"...Snow Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CastorTroy

CastorTroy is on a distinguished road

I posted this on the Apple forums also, but I tend to get faster answers here. So I'm just going to copy and paste.

I have the latest version of Snow Leopard and Safari and for some reason I have to force quit at least once a day. I do have quite a few tabs open, 15 or so, and I also disabled mult-process windows. The reason I disabled it is because Safari kept refreshing my tabs when I did not want them to. This all started with the latest update. Most of the time it happens when I wake the computer up from sleeping...but also happens other times. I'll just keep clicking and all I will get is the revolving umbrella till I have to force quit.

Does anyone experience the same problem and is there a fix to this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

Try using chrome of Firefox. Or you can try and reinstall safari.
QUOTE Thanks
2Much2Do

2Much2Do is on a distinguished road

I have experienced that same frustrating apparent hangup when browsing for the past 2 weeks. Usually Chrome and Firefox are able to access the page but its a pain in the proverbial. When the spinning ball appears I've noticed there is no network activity so suspect there is something in Safari.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Likely your memory is full. Will suggest grabbing "Free Memory" - link.

This app works as advertised. Only available in the App Store.
Only the free version for 10.6.
Go ahead and grab the Pro version for a whopping $0.99 for those of you with 10.7 & 10.8.
Worth every penny.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
2Much2Do

I too thought of that, so I checked and I have ample free amounts of memory, disk space, cpu etc.. Did a virus check as well. I'm clutching at straws, I know but the browser search with Safari is soooo slow and keeps freezing. I have 10.6.8 OS and Safari 5.7.1 so the adobe problems about v6 don't apply. My internet speed is never great - I'm limited to 1500/256ADSL connection - and when this freeze happens the connection was around the 135kb/s. I'll keep searching.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Have you tried a Reset of Safari?

Even if you're going to use Safari as your primary browser, I recommend keeping at least 3 of them around.
Personally , I go for FF and Opera.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
2Much2Do

Yes, reset but no improvement. However I did a virus scan check which found a few trojans and malaware in some junk emails which seems to have helped. Not quite sure why though since they were designed for the Windows PC - can't see what effect they'd have on a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

They don't have any effect on the Mac. It's entirely coincidental that these "seem to have helped," and much MORE likely that it is in fact your "virus" (no such thing on Macs) software that is the real culprit.

What are you using? Never mind, it doesn't matter. Uninstall it using the manufacturer's recommended method. Then run OnyX on the Automate setting, restart your machine and I'll bet you see a BIG improvement!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SMART error | macbook 10.4.11 »