New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Snow Leopard Install Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Krypt

Krypt is on a distinguished road

I have a macbook pro with OSX 10.5.8 on it. I recently ordered Snow Leopard 10.6.3.

I tried to install it this morning. I inserted the disk and started the install process. About 15 minutes into the copying of files, the screen kind of flashes blank and then shows the Apple logo with the loading animation. After a minute, it loads back into 10.5.8

I'm not sure why it's not installing Snow Leopard. Anyone have any suggestions to this it would be appreciated. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If the Snow Leopard DVD is the retail version it should install over Leopard. I suspect the optical drive on your MBP may be at fault. The drive laser lens may be dirty. Buy a can of compressed air and blow a couple of short blasts into the drive and try again.
QUOTE Thanks
Krypt

I just tried cleaning it out and attempted another install. Still the same issue. I checked to ensure there are no scratches/fingerprints on the install disc. I've also checked with other data DVD's/Musical CD's and those have no problem running at all.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Keep in mind that OS X installation DVDs are dual layer and require a greater level of laser power to be properly read. Single layer disks (data and music) might work OK.
QUOTE Thanks
Krypt

I'm still having the same issue with this. I really need to get the OS upgraded. Does anyone have any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
I'm still having the same issue with this. I really need to get the OS upgraded. Does anyone have any suggestions?
1) I agree with Chscag, it is probably your optical drive. You could borrow or purchase an external drive.

2) Less likely, but still possible, you may have a bad OS disk, assuming you bought it new from Apple, may be worth seeing if they will replace.

3) You could purchase Lion on USB direct from Apple, assuming you meet the minimum hardware requirements ($69 USD) and skip Snow Leopard. (I think the EULA allows that, but will check and post back if I find out different)

EDIT: From what I can see it looks as if going direct from Leopard to Lion is a EULA violation, so scratch reccomendation No 3. off the list. Of course, now that I think about it, you have already purchased Snow Leopard for your MBP, so you probably are meeting the EULA.
You can tell that I am NOT a lawyer . . .

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« fi-5110EOX2 SCANSNAP any ideas how to work with MAC | Snow Leopard keeps dropping DNS »