New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Issue with Quicktime player (Mac) and Webcam software?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ItalianMan88

ItalianMan88 is on a distinguished road

I just bought a Macbook pro. I downloaded some webcam software ( a program called ManyCam). I want to load video into it but can't (when I go to select a video the box is greyed out.) I went to their website and they said that if the default media player won't play the video file than ManyCam will not be able to and something about codecs. So since Quicktime is my default media player I tried opening the videos I downloaded which was in a format not supported by Quicktime. I converted them to .mp4 format using a Mac converter. Quicktime is now able to play the files but ManyCam still hasn't changed ( I can't load video). If it makes a difference I downloaded VLC media player and even tried making it my default player but it didn't work. Help is appreciated.

I've been all over the internet looking for a solution. I've spent about 3 hours tonight trying different suggestions and I've been to a couple forums but nothing.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

I can't begin to help with ManyCam but I can help as far as getting your videos to play.

Not sure what a "Mac converter" is? I've come across many video conversion apps but not this one.

But before we get to solutions there are a few questions to answer:
What's the origin of the video?
What format is the video in?
Will VLC play it?
Do you have Perian installed?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
ItalianMan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
I can't begin to help with ManyCam but I can help as far as getting your videos to play.

Not sure what a "Mac converter" is? I've come across many video conversion apps but not this one.

But before we get to solutions there are a few questions to answer:
What's the origin of the video?
What format is the video in?
Will VLC play it?
Do you have Perian installed?

That's what I meant. A video converter for Mac. Anyway,

Origin of the video is a file hosting website.
Format of the video is .wmv
VLC does play it.
I do not have perian installed, no.

Edit: I just downloaded Perian. Now what?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Knowing which convertor you used would be helpful. But, to the original issue:
Perian allows Quicktime to play many varied formats. Windows Media files are licensed in a different way.
You'll need Flip4Mac for that.

Once they can be played in Quicktime you should be able to open them in your new software.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
ItalianMan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Knowing which convertor you used would be helpful. But, to the original issue:
Perian allows Quicktime to play many varied formats. Windows Media files are licensed in a different way.
You'll need Flip4Mac for that.

Once they can be played in Quicktime you should be able to open them in your new software.

I used Kigo Video Converter. And I'll download Flip4Mac right now.

Ok. I installed both Flip4Mac and Perian and I clicked on the video. I get the following error message:

"The document “man hit by ice cream truck.wmv” could not be opened. A required codec isn't available."

What should I do now?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2 calendars | How to stop reloading closed files in Lion »