New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

controlling access for 30 Macs in a room

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

p_s_92

p_s_92 is on a distinguished road

All the 30 machines are iMacs running Mac OS X 10.7.3. We just want people from a particular division(not anyone else) only to use them.

I know in Windows you can using active directory create accounts for the users on a domain to which the machines can authenticate when the users try to log in.

How do I do it in Mac? I am a newbie to Mac

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Air

Air is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: See Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_s_92 View Post
All the 30 machines are iMacs running Mac OS X 10.7.3. We just want people from a particular division(not anyone else) only to use them.

I know in Windows you can using active directory create accounts for the users on a domain to which the machines can authenticate when the users try to log in.

How do I do it in Mac? I am a newbie to Mac

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Ummmmmm,
All on the same network, or is it a domain

[Main Laptop/Computer] [April 2006] 17" MacBook Pro | 2.33GHz C2D | 4GB DDR2 RAM | 120GB Intel 320 SSD | Lion 10.7.5
QUOTE Thanks
Air

Air is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: See Signature

TYPO!!
All on the same network, or is it a domain???

[Main Laptop/Computer] [April 2006] 17" MacBook Pro | 2.33GHz C2D | 4GB DDR2 RAM | 120GB Intel 320 SSD | Lion 10.7.5
QUOTE Thanks
p_s_92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air View Post
TYPO!!
All on the same network, or is it a domain???
Yes, they are on same subnet. But, they are standalone. There is no domain.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

You could go old school and use NIS. I dislike NIS for large number of users in large environments, but for a small group of systems and users, it's not bad. Google and man pages are your friend.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
p_s_92

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
You could go old school and use NIS. I dislike NIS for large number of users in large environments, but for a small group of systems and users, it's not bad. Google and man pages are your friend.
Thanks, that is helpful.

I appreciate your advice and time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finder & Desktop Frozen - Spinwheel | iCloud switch over issues »