New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Improving performance in OS Lion


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
qerae

 
Member Since: Feb 27, 2012
Posts: 11
qerae is on a distinguished road

qerae is offline
Okay, so I recently upgraded to Lion, but my hardware isn't very good (old macbook with a C2D / 3 gigs of RAM).

It's not painfully slow, but at times my performance is a bit more sluggish than I'd like. Any tips on how I can lighten the load? I've been trying to disable the animations, but the commands and codes aren't working. Could I possibly disable widgets?
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

 
Stretch's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 13, 2007
Location: Central New York
Posts: 4,773
Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Stretch is offline
What kind of computer? Your best bet, if possible, would be to increase your RAM.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
qerae

 
Member Since: Feb 27, 2012
Posts: 11
qerae is on a distinguished road

qerae is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
What kind of computer? Your best bet, if possible, would be to increase your RAM.
This laptop is so old that its a lost cause to upgrade the hardware. I just want ideas on how to make the operating system a little bit lighter.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,500
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Did you do a clean install? We've found in the last several updates to OS X that a clean install is usually preferable to a straight upgrade in terms of performance.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
qerae

 
Member Since: Feb 27, 2012
Posts: 11
qerae is on a distinguished road

qerae is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Did you do a clean install? We've found in the last several updates to OS X that a clean install is usually preferable to a straight upgrade in terms of performance.
Clean install.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

 
rabbitjetta's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 08, 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 940
rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

rabbitjetta is offline
Try an app called iboostup Mac App Store - iBoostUp from the mac app store and run that, also try Mac App Store - RAMDrive and one more thing you can use is http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/freem...60931672?mt=12
QUOTE Thanks
qerae

 
Member Since: Feb 27, 2012
Posts: 11
qerae is on a distinguished road

qerae is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitjetta View Post
Try an app called iboostup Mac App Store - iBoostUp from the mac app store and run that, also try Mac App Store - RAMDrive and one more thing you can use is Mac App Store - FreeMemory
Thanks. I don't know how much its going to help, but I'lll try it anyway. Is there any way to manage what programs start on boot? I don't want itunes to start on boot.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 16,233
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is offline
Answering in reverse order:

Yes, you can control what programs start on bootup. The easiest way (there are several methods) is to start up the machine, let the programs boot, then click and hold on their icons in the dock, choose Options and select the checked "Open at login" option (this has the effect of unchecking them).

As for speeding up an older Mac running Lion: I'm using a 2007 Blackbook with w/3GB of RAM and for the most part Lion works fabulously fast (okay, not in comparison to a brand new machine, but as fast as I can keep up with it). One of the best "tricks" is to keep a LOT of hard drive space free, let's say 50GB for example.

Another is to remember to QUIT (not just close) programs you're not running at the moment. Another tip is to AVOID any "downloading" type programs running in the background -- they just eat resources for breakfast!

Of course, regular (by which I mean "maybe once every three months") running of a maintenance utility like OnyX (or its little brother Maintenance) is a good idea too. And backups, obviously.
QUOTE Thanks
qerae

 
Member Since: Feb 27, 2012
Posts: 11
qerae is on a distinguished road

qerae is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Answering in reverse order:

Yes, you can control what programs start on bootup. The easiest way (there are several methods) is to start up the machine, let the programs boot, then click and hold on their icons in the dock, choose Options and select the checked "Open at login" option (this has the effect of unchecking them).

As for speeding up an older Mac running Lion: I'm using a 2007 Blackbook with w/3GB of RAM and for the most part Lion works fabulously fast (okay, not in comparison to a brand new machine, but as fast as I can keep up with it). One of the best "tricks" is to keep a LOT of hard drive space free, let's say 50GB for example.

Another is to remember to QUIT (not just close) programs you're not running at the moment. Another tip is to AVOID any "downloading" type programs running in the background -- they just eat resources for breakfast!

Of course, regular (by which I mean "maybe once every three months") running of a maintenance utility like OnyX (or its little brother Maintenance) is a good idea too. And backups, obviously.
Alright, thanks for the tips. I guess the only reason lion feels slow to me is because I recently built a new desktop.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« 2 questions | Mac Server Lion 10.7: file sharing with Windows »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Installing Lion on two Macs? Peakoverload OS X - Operating System 3 02-05-2012 06:32 AM
Lion Mail: Faster, full-screen, and feature-packed OneMoreThing... Apple Rumors and Reports 39 09-02-2011 02:15 PM
OS 10.7 Lion feature/rumour roundup the8thark Apple Rumors and Reports 44 08-17-2011 02:03 PM
Apple's training site back online, Lion certifications due this fall OneMoreThing... Apple Rumors and Reports 0 08-03-2011 03:30 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?