New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

I need a new g5 dvd burner

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

redmountain

redmountain is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I need a new dvd burner for my G5 PowerMac OS 10.5.8
I had a Sony DW Q28A in it, but it isn't burning well any more.
I can't find this particular burner anymore- please help me know what to get.
I can put it in myself, and really don't want to buy a whole new mac just because the DVD burner is broken. I've tried off brand external brands but they don't burn straight from Mac software such as "DVD Studio Pro."
Thank you in advance for any help you can give...
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Look for a Pioneer 22x speed DVR. Should get one for around $40 and they are a snack to fit. Recognised natively by your G5. Make sure you purchase an ATAPI and not SATA optical drive. Here is one on eBay for starters:-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-DVR-...ht_2732wt_1398

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
redmountain

Thank you SO much for the info and the link- we will give this a try...
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

My pleasure red. When you get the drive prior to installing remove the front lip from the tray and this will ensure door closes properly and keeps out excess dust.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

CDROM drives are a "commodity." Your Mac will recognize and use just about any brand (I haven't found one that doesn't work - I have an LG brand in my Mac). So, you just need to make sure about the type of connection - ATAPI/IDE or SATA, then you can buy one at any store that carries CDROM drives. They sell for US$20-30 at stores in my neighborhood.
QUOTE Thanks
redmountain

Thank you for the extra tips Harry- we have ordered the one you suggested, along with a used one like we had before- one of them should do the trick!

gsahli: As for the LG external drives- we tried two of those, and the Mac recognizes them, but we couldn't figure out how to burn from DVD Studio Pro, because the file extension is .dspproj in that software- and the drive just gave errors when we tried to burn those- it wouldn't recognize that extension. Videos produced out of DVD Studio Pro are the main items we burn on that computer-
So, maybe I just need to figure out how to change it to a more common video format to use those.....

Thank you for all the suggestions!!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

The problem with externals is PowerPC machines, with some iMac G5 exceptions, will not boot from USB connections, and Firewire are many times dearer.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Snow Leopard install on iMac with new HD | Lion vs Lion server on new mac mini server »