New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Copying files to external drive - and keeping order

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Koala Operative

Koala Operative is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, quick question:

Is there a tool, or a way to copy several files from my Mac to a external HD, while preserving the order of the files? I ask this because I'm trying to match the alphabetical order of the files in my Mac, with the File Allocation Table.

My HDD will be used on a Philips TV, and the files are mostly MKV and AVI files. But since this TV is dumb, it shows the order of the files as they were copied, hence I need to copy the files in the same order as they show in the Mac.

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I don't think that there is a way to do this during the copy process and guarantee the order the are placed on the drive. Try the following and see if this works:

1. Since the files are in the correct order on your Mac open a window and get the files in the right order.

2. Right click in the window and check to see how the files are set to appear name, creation date, whatever.

3.Copy some files to the external drive

4. Open a window for the external drive and make sure that window's settings are the same as the window you were copying from. Close the window on the external drive and eject the disk.

This is something of a shot in the card so it may not work.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Koala Operative

Koala Operative is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
I don't think that there is a way to do this during the copy process and guarantee the order the are placed on the drive. Try the following and see if this works:

1. Since the files are in the correct order on your Mac open a window and get the files in the right order.

2. Right click in the window and check to see how the files are set to appear name, creation date, whatever.

3.Copy some files to the external drive

4. Open a window for the external drive and make sure that window's settings are the same as the window you were copying from. Close the window on the external drive and eject the disk.

This is something of a shot in the card so it may not work.
Thanks for the reply!

So far I found that the only way to do this is to CMD and click the files in the order, copy and then paste on the HDD. But since I'm dealing with somewhat close to 700 files, sorted in various folders, selecting them, is possible, but a pain.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cannot delete files fromTime Machine backup anymore? | First backup to Time Machine »