New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Partition problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Zulu55

Zulu55 is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and am having a slight issue with my MacBook (late 2008 aluminum 13" 2.0Ghz, 160gb, upgraded to 4Gb ram with 10.5.8).

I partitioned my hard drive with bootcamp so that I could install windows xp with sp2. I installed everything, updated everything and it was great. Then I stupidly realized that I didn't allow enough room for a large game I wanted to install (insert comments here!)

So, I deleted the Windows partition with bootcamp and went about the process to add another partition that would be more than big enough. But, bootcamp wouldn't allow it. I got a message stating, "the disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk using disk utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using bootcamp assistant again.

Now, that sounds very obvious and I am backing up my system on an external hard drive now with time machine.

I am a newb, so I wanted to know if backing up with time machine, then doing what the assistant suggested will fix my problem. It's quite intensive so I was wondering if there was a way around it or not. Will I run into any other problems? Is it easy to restore from time machine? Do I do something differently when reinstalling?

Thanks for any assistance.

Adam
QUOTE Thanks
Zulu55

One more thing, when i create the new partition and add windows xp, it will prompt for formatting if I recall correctly. The game I am installing is 15Gb. I have heard that fat32 won't allow files bigger than 4gb? Is this correct? Does this mean I need to format NTFS? If so, will I run into any problems? Or will windows xp and my Mac os still work great on their individual partitions?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

You can use Time Machine, erase and format as suggested, then back up from Time Machine and start Bootcamp all over again and yes NTFS format as the partition will need to be at least 40GB for XP and that game. If you half the drive, 80/80GB, you may well run into the size problem all over again as 160GB is not a large hard drive.

Once set up you can use a program called Camptune to change the size of the Windows partition. It costs $19.95.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Zulu55

Thanks very much for the reply harryb2448. I appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook pro problem with user accounts | 10.8 to 10.7 mail issues »