New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Boot-Up and Generally Sluggish MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mac-Problems

Mac-Problems is on a distinguished road

Hey!

So i though that i would give this forum a shot.

Previous to my Mac recently having all hardware serviced, it began booting incredibly slowly ( up to 10 minutes ) 1) to a grey screen 2) then screen off 3) to a dark blue screen 4) to a light blue screen and finally 5) to my desktop back ground. This whole process can take up to 10-12 minutes all with the absence of any 'start-up chime' of loading symbol ...

Along with this problem, whilst awake and running, my computer is generally sluggish and performs to a low standard. Its very surprising due to the fact that my computer is a 2011 model and I have had it for just over 1 year.

The recent work involved a cleaning of the interior of the computer along with replacement keyboard and PSU adaptor.

Having read a lot of other forum posts I have gathered that I might need to restart my computer with the original instillation disk inserted and perform some type of repair. However my original disk is about 200 miles away form my current location. I was wondering if I can perform any repair or further troubleshooting without it ... ?

I am pretty computer illiterate when it comes to programming so be kind in reply, nevertheless any feedback would be much appreciated as this computer is becoming an infuriating factor of my life haha.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

When was the lat time you repaired permissions?

How full is your hard drive (gigs used/gigs free)?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

First things first. Can you tell us a bit more about your machine? Is it a new MacBook Pro or an older model? What is the CPU inside? How fast is it? How much RAM do you have? Finally, which operating system are you running (Lion, Snow Leopard, Leopard, etc.). These details are going to make it easier for us to help you diagnose the problem and hopefully solve it.

If you need help finding this information, click on the Apple logo in the upper right of the screen and select About This Mac. That should tell you what we need to know.

QUOTE Thanks
Mac-Problems

Hey ! Thanks for the quick reply.

1) I have 383 out of 500GB FREE. So I have barley used any space.

2) I have never 'repaired permissions' - I don't have a clue why of how, or what that means.

Apologies for my lack of knowhow.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

No need to double-post...threads merged.

Thanks,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Problems View Post
Hey ! Thanks for the quick reply.

1) I have 383 out of 500GB FREE. So I have barley used any space.
Sounds good...just checking

Quote:
2) I have never 'repaired permissions' - I don't have a clue why of how, or what that means.
Procedure:

- open "Disk Utility"
- select disk to repair permissions on (left side of window)
- click on "Repair Permissions" button
- wait for repair permissions to complete

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mac-Problems

Sorry I have no idea where Disk Utility is. I hope your a patient one.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Sorry I have no idea where Disk Utility is. I hope your a patient one.
Applications folder > Utilities Folder > Disk Utility

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mac-Problems

1) Its a New Mac Book Pro - 2011 Edition
2) Intel Core i7
3) Speed - Slow
QUOTE Thanks
Mac-Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Applications folder > Utilities Folder > Disk Utility

- Nick
Ok its loading... (repairing Permissions for Macintosh HD) ? there is a list of three i could have chosen from.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Ok its loading... (repairing Permissions for Macintosh HD) ? there is a list of three i could have chosen from.
Just select the name of your computers hard drive.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mac-Problems

Quote:

- Nick
Ok so its been loading for a 20minutes and seems to be stuck on 2minutes, would you advise me to "stop permission repair" or to just let it plough on through ?

Cheers Simon
QUOTE Thanks
Mac-Problems

Quote:

- Nick
OK apologies for my apparent impatience ! The loading has ceased. Are there any further steps that you recommend ?

- Simon
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Ok so its been loading for a 20minutes and seems to be stuck on 2minutes, would you advise me to "stop permission repair" or to just let it plough on through ?

Cheers Simon
Just hang in there...it should eventually complete. The more "stuff" it's repairing...the greater the chances this was the source of the slow computer issues.

When the repair permissions is complete. Quit disk utility...and reboot the computer. Please let us know if your computer is better.

Thanks,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mac-Problems

Hey nice one! Just got your final message. I'll reboot now and give you a shout in a minute ( hopefully) haha !

Cheers

Simon
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« [Please Help] Lion OSX Wifi Problem | how to delete a user from osx 10.6.8 »