Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   Boot-Up and Generally Sluggish MacBook Pro (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/267846-boot-up-generally-sluggish-macbook-pro.html)

Mac-Problems 02-26-2012 01:16 PM

Boot-Up and Generally Sluggish MacBook Pro

Hey!

So i though that i would give this forum a shot.

Previous to my Mac recently having all hardware serviced, it began booting incredibly slowly ( up to 10 minutes ) 1) to a grey screen 2) then screen off 3) to a dark blue screen 4) to a light blue screen and finally 5) to my desktop back ground. This whole process can take up to 10-12 minutes all with the absence of any 'start-up chime' of loading symbol ... :\

Along with this problem, whilst awake and running, my computer is generally sluggish and performs to a low standard. Its very surprising due to the fact that my computer is a 2011 model and I have had it for just over 1 year.

The recent work involved a cleaning of the interior of the computer along with replacement keyboard and PSU adaptor.

Having read a lot of other forum posts I have gathered that I might need to restart my computer with the original instillation disk inserted and perform some type of repair. However my original disk is about 200 miles away form my current location. I was wondering if I can perform any repair or further troubleshooting without it ... ?

I am pretty computer illiterate when it comes to programming so be kind in reply, nevertheless any feedback would be much appreciated as this computer is becoming an infuriating factor of my life haha.

Thanks again.

pigoo3 02-26-2012 01:24 PM

When was the lat time you repaired permissions?

How full is your hard drive (gigs used/gigs free)?

- Nick

J.Fo 02-26-2012 01:29 PM

First things first. Can you tell us a bit more about your machine? Is it a new MacBook Pro or an older model? What is the CPU inside? How fast is it? How much RAM do you have? Finally, which operating system are you running (Lion, Snow Leopard, Leopard, etc.). These details are going to make it easier for us to help you diagnose the problem and hopefully solve it.

If you need help finding this information, click on the Apple logo in the upper right of the screen and select About This Mac. That should tell you what we need to know.

Mac-Problems 02-26-2012 01:30 PM

Hey ! Thanks for the quick reply.

1) I have 383 out of 500GB FREE. So I have barley used any space.

2) I have never 'repaired permissions' - I don't have a clue why of how, or what that means.

Apologies for my lack of knowhow.

pigoo3 02-26-2012 01:32 PM

No need to double-post...threads merged.

Thanks,

- Nick

pigoo3 02-26-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Problems (Post 1375116)
Hey ! Thanks for the quick reply.

1) I have 383 out of 500GB FREE. So I have barley used any space.

Sounds good...just checking

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Problems (Post 1375116)
2) I have never 'repaired permissions' - I don't have a clue why of how, or what that means.

Procedure:

- open "Disk Utility"
- select disk to repair permissions on (left side of window)
- click on "Repair Permissions" button
- wait for repair permissions to complete

- Nick

Mac-Problems 02-26-2012 01:38 PM

Sorry I have no idea where Disk Utility is. I hope your a patient one.

pigoo3 02-26-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Problems (Post 1375128)
Sorry I have no idea where Disk Utility is. I hope your a patient one.

Applications folder > Utilities Folder > Disk Utility

- Nick

Mac-Problems 02-26-2012 01:44 PM

1) Its a New Mac Book Pro - 2011 Edition
2) Intel Core i7
3) Speed - Slow

Mac-Problems 02-26-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1375133)
Applications folder > Utilities Folder > Disk Utility

- Nick

Ok its loading... (repairing Permissions for Macintosh HD) ? there is a list of three i could have chosen from.

pigoo3 02-26-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Problems (Post 1375137)
Ok its loading... (repairing Permissions for Macintosh HD) ? there is a list of three i could have chosen from.

Just select the name of your computers hard drive.

- Nick

Mac-Problems 02-26-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1375146)

- Nick

Ok so its been loading for a 20minutes and seems to be stuck on 2minutes, would you advise me to "stop permission repair" or to just let it plough on through ?

Cheers Simon

Mac-Problems 02-26-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1375146)

- Nick

OK apologies for my apparent impatience ! The loading has ceased. Are there any further steps that you recommend ?

- Simon

pigoo3 02-26-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Problems (Post 1375153)
Ok so its been loading for a 20minutes and seems to be stuck on 2minutes, would you advise me to "stop permission repair" or to just let it plough on through ?

Cheers Simon

Just hang in there...it should eventually complete. The more "stuff" it's repairing...the greater the chances this was the source of the slow computer issues.:)

When the repair permissions is complete. Quit disk utility...and reboot the computer. Please let us know if your computer is better.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Mac-Problems 02-26-2012 02:24 PM

Hey nice one! Just got your final message. I'll reboot now and give you a shout in a minute ( hopefully) haha !

Cheers

Simon