New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Office for Mac 2004 on Macbook Pro won't open

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

judyo

judyo is on a distinguished road

I have a Macbook Pro OSX 10.6 version with Microsoft Office for Macs 2004 on it.
Suddenly I cannot open Word or any of the other Office programs. I get a message that
says Microsoft quit unexpectedly Click reopen to open application again This report will be sent to Apple automatically. A report comes back but nothing I can understand. I've been told I need to reinstall Office for Macs but I cannot find the disk. Help!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Without the install CD your goose is somewhat cooked, as it were. Might well be time to move on to Office 2011, it is a much better program.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
editorjoy

editorjoy is on a distinguished road

I have been getting the same message trying to open any Microsoft office app. I do have the 2004 MS Office install disk and it still doesn't work even after I uninstalled it using MacKeeper and then copied the programs back onto my hard drive from the install disk. In fact I even got the message just trying to open "office setup assistant" from the disk.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Without further information, it's very difficult for us to assist you. What version of OS X are you running? The reason we need that info is because there was an update that disabled Rosetta which is needed to run Office 2004 in Snow Leopard. Apple posted a fix which took care of the problem. Perhaps this applies to you?

Also, a bit of advice. Remove MacKeeper as it causes more problems than it fixes. You can do a search in our forums to learn about MacKeeper.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And MacKeeper can be the very devil to remove. Did not simply drag it to Trash?

http://applehelpwriter.com/2011/09/2...eeper-malware/

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
editorjoy

Thank you chscag for your reply! I have Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 Hoping you'll have a solution. Thanks also for the tip about MacKeeper.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Go to this LINK and look about halfway down the page. There's a link on the page to download the fix from Apple. Also be sure to read the information. Downloading the fix from Apple will restore your Office 2004 to working again.
QUOTE Thanks
editorjoy

Well, I installed the latest software update 1.1 as mentioned in the link, and downloaded & installed the RosettaFix Patch from the link. Then using the Disk Utility, I ran disk permissions on both the "500.28..." media as well as the "Macintosh HD" underneath it, just in case. I restarted and tried to open Microsoft Word as well as Excel and no luck. I tried a couple more times- installing the patch, restarting just in case, running disk permissions, restarting again, then trying to open any MS office program. Still the same problem Not sure why the patch isn't working for me.

I've attached a photo of the error message. Sounds like I will need to revert back using time machine, which would be a pain because I'm not sure what files I need that I wouldn't have from a month or so ago. Of course there is always purchasing the new updated software, but I doubt that I'm alone in that I don't like being told what to do & when to do it without warning

I really do appreciate your help on this. Maybe there is a solution yet?
Attached Images
File Type: png Word Problem.png (35.1 KB, 7 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WinClone | iPhoto 6 »