New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Safari and VLC not working?!? HELP!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Clym

Clym is on a distinguished road

Hey, I've been having a problem recently that's really getting on my nerves. Nearly two weeks ago, Safari suddenly stopped launching properly. It would launch but no webpage would load (with the screen remaining white) and a constantly spinning beach ball. I can still use links in the taskbar and open history, preferences etc. but no webpages are loading. I also noticed that the fan became immediately louder.

I noticed in Activity Monitor that "WebProcess" was using about 97% of CPU. I've never noticed this process before. Each time I quit and relaunched Safari, the problem persisted and the process was duplicated. This meant that I could have 5 or 6 "WebProcess"s, all running at 97% CPU. I had to manually quit each instance in Activity Monitor (they did not close with Safari.

I was stuck with this for a couple of days, during which time, I also discovered that VLC refused to launch, with the logo appearing on the dock and the blue indicator flashing incessantly. No windows appeared. I went looking for software that I had recently installed and found a Pref Pane called CodeMeter that had been installed with some software that I ended up deleting. I downloaded and ran an uninstaller and the problem was fixed! Both Safari and VLC operated perfectly.

However, about 5 days ago, the problem suddenly came back without any warning. Exactly the same symptoms in Safari and VLC. I've tried everything: I've rerun the CodeMeter uninstaller, disabled extensions, wiped Safari preferences, cleared website data.... nothing is making a difference. Everything else is working fine. I've been using Chrome instead.

Today, I clicked a link in Apple Mail, and it opened it in Safari (as it is still set as default browser) and somehow it loaded and worked fine. However when I quit and tried reopening from the dock, it was still not working. I managed for a few minutes to launch Safari using links in mail, but this method has now also failed. I'm very confused, and I can't find anyone else who has had the same problem. I'd REALLY appreciate some help, I'm getting very frustrated. Thanks in advance!

C

P.S. I'm using a MacBook Pro on 10.7.3. Safari is version 5.1.3 and VLC is 2.0.0 (I think).
QUOTE Thanks
mrwilson

mrwilson is on a distinguished road

I am having the exact same issue for the same length of time. All I know is it must be something to do with downloading 10.7.3 D: Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Im having to use Chrome and REALPLAYER
QUOTE Thanks
Clym

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwilson View Post
I am having the exact same issue for the same length of time. All I know is it must be something to do with downloading 10.7.3 D: Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Im having to use Chrome and REALPLAYER
hmmm, good to know it's not just me.... this really needs to be sorted out
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / 2014 MacBook Air i5 11" / iMac C2D 2.16 GHz 20" / iMac G5 1.6 GHz 17"

To both of you, if you used Software Update in Lion to go to 10.7.3, download the combo update from OS X Lion Update 10.7.3 (Client Combo) and run it.
Sometimes using Software Update confuses things, and applying the combo should sort it out.
There was one occasion a while ago where I had to run the combo update twice to get things right.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
Clym

okay, downloading now, i'll let you know if it changes things.... thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Clym

nope, hasn't made a difference unfortunately.... it might have to wait until 10.7.4....
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / 2014 MacBook Air i5 11" / iMac C2D 2.16 GHz 20" / iMac G5 1.6 GHz 17"

So sorry to hear that, I was convinced it would work.
Hopefully somebody with a little more knowledge will come along soon and help.

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
aibkaresz

aibkaresz is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, a friend of mine had the exact same problem... It has something to do with the com.lost.smoke.plist and the keylogger named refog... you have do delete both and than restart. Worked for us at least

Here is the thread which i've found that helped: https://discussions.apple.com/message/17519739#17519739

Hope it helps guys!

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Clym

Yeh, that would make sense. I'll try later.
QUOTE Thanks
Clym

Just uninstalled the Refog monitoring component from inside the program and after a restart everything is back to normal!!! Thank you so much aibkaresz! I'm typing this on Safari! I'm going to contact Refog and let them know there's a conflict. Cheers for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
aibkaresz

aibkaresz is on a distinguished road

Well you are welcome, glad it helped you too i guess it's a revenge for spying just kidding

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
mrwilson

mrwilson is on a distinguished road

AWESOME AWESOME EPICALLY AWESOME!!! Thanks aibkaresz you are Awesome....and a little bit Epic!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Auto-mounting and opening of .dmg | How to type special characters? »