New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Cannot access HTTPS websites over WiFi

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wabafet

Wabafet is on a distinguished road

Hello,

For a few days now I have been unable to access any HTTPS websites using my Macbook Pro at my workplace. As far as I know there have been no updates to my software since then, it seemed to start once I came to work. I have tried a few different wireless routers here with the same results, however my iPhone 4 does not have this problem anywhere. I have tried using Safari and FireFox on OSX as well as Internet Explorer and FireFox on my Bootcamp Windows 7. When I try the browser will appear to be waiting for the website but never changes. I found a few forums about this and most suggestions were a keychain issue and some were suggesting a problem with the DNS.

The keychain issue does not seem to be the problem I am experiencing, the KeyChain application seems to work just fine when I open it and neither repairing nor deleting the keychain files that were suggested had any effect.

I did not try much with the DNS since the suggestions did not explain much and that is one area that I do not have much experience with.

Some places I am unable to connect to:
Hotmail
Gmail
Apple forums
Software Update
Steam client

I am hoping that using Windows 7 with Bootcamp uses the same driver for the wireless adaptor so this is just a software issue.

Also: When connected with an ethernet cable there is no issue connecting to any websites.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Open System Preferences. Click on "Network", then select WiFi. Now click on the "Advanced" button below to the right. Click on the "DNS" tab.

Click on the small plus sign at the bottom of the box. Enter the following:

Click the plus again and enter:

The two entries above will give you access to the Google free Public DNS servers. If you were having DNS problems, that should take care of it.

Click OK and exit System Preferences. Reboot your Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I'm going to guess that if the iPhone doesn't have this problem, the issue isn't DNS (I suppose anything is possible however).

HTTPS sends data over port 443 which is also used by other services. There have been reports that multiple applications using port 443 at the same time "clogs" it up and prevents data from being sent (in other words, pages loading). What other applications do you have open?

Weird HTTPS issues have also been caused by Parental Controls - do you have those on?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Wabafet

Thank you for your responces guys. I tried adding those two to the DNS list, doing that removed the lighter coloured default address. With those two Google addresses I could not access any websites. I tried adding in the default one so there were three and it was back to only accessing the unsecured sites.

There are no other programs running in either OSX or Windows 7 to interfere, I only use a few programs on this computer and none that are set to run in the background. There are no firewalls nor parental controls set in either operating system either.

Is it possible for a hardware issue to be causing this? I wouldn't think so but I don't know too much about how the adaptors function. However since this only occured when I arrived at work maybe the vibrations from driving messed something up. Or perhaps joining the different WiFi network this time caused a problem.

I will be home in a couple days and able to check with my home network and also use the OSX disc to reinstall things if necessary.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The grayed out DNS address was the default address for your router. What I don't understand is why you lost the net when you used the Google Public DNS servers? Something else is going on... Is your work place using a Proxy by chance? It almost sounds like your work place is filtering net access to certain sites only.
QUOTE Thanks
Wabafet

I am not sure about a proxy, I am not certain what to look for with that, but they do have a filter on parts of their network. However, I am able to access these sites on my phone just fine or when I connect to a LAN.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« When my iMac wakes up, stuff stops working (bluetooth, iSight, scanner) | Time Machine »