New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS X not installing on Power Mac G5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Murrtallica

Murrtallica is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2011 Macbook pro 17", June 2004 Powermac G5, late 2008 Macbook, 2001 Ruby iMac G3,2007 Mac Mini

Hello, I've been trying everything, but though it wouldnt hurt to ask here. My uncle gave me a Power Mac G5 and I've been trying to get Leopard on it. I have tiger running as its os and a second Partition for Leopard. The problem is when i insert the first disk it says it cannot be installed on this computer (power mac g5 with 2gb ram and 2GHz Dual processors.) The disks are grey and my uncle says they were the ones that came with his computer. They read For mac computers instead of the traditional "Power mac G5" disk lable. What is the problem here? Any help to this situation?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

"What OS Disk Do I Need?" A Brief Overview

You may want to look at the above link.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Murrtallica

Mac Specs: Late 2011 Macbook pro 17", June 2004 Powermac G5, late 2008 Macbook, 2001 Ruby iMac G3,2007 Mac Mini

The difference is the disk is labled "For Mac Computers" I dont know if that changes anything though...
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

Grey disks are model specific. When you say "his computer" do you mean this G5 he gave you, or a different Mac?

If it's the latter then the grey disks won't work, regardless of having "For Mac" on them.

As rman suggests, that thread will tell you all you need to know.

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
Murrtallica

He says the disks belong to the G5, but even without reading the link i knew grey = machine specific.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrtallica View Post
The problem is when i insert the first disk it says it cannot be installed on this computer
That's the message that means "These discs are not for this model". So, it appears that the original owner is wrong about the discs.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

G5's did not come with a Leopard system install disc, depending on the model late 2005 used Tiger OS X.4.2, and earlier models Panther OS X.3 or even Jaguar OS X.2.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Murrtallica

I finally got a hold of a leopard disks, so thanks for all the help! The disks belong to the Mac mini he gave to my mother. The G5's Tiger disks were in the mini's box, so thats why i had the confusion. Thanks again though!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrtallica View Post
I finally got a hold of a leopard disks, so thanks for all the help! The disks belong to the Mac mini he gave to my mother. The G5's Tiger disks were in the mini's box, so thats why i had the confusion. Thanks again though!
That's one of the problems with the gray disks. They are not labeled for which specific computer they are for...and if someone has more than one Mac (and more than one set of gray disks)...it's easy to get them mixed up!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Deleted Admin Account | Mac Mail »