New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

10.7.3 upgrade killed my audio...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kbalch

kbalch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB

I just upgraded from 10.7.2 to 10.7.3 today via the combo update and have lost all audio. I'm not getting any sound from either the built-in speakers, my speaker system, or my headphones.

The Sound pref pane doesn't show any options other than 'Digital Out', my task bar volume slider is grayed out, and my keyboard shortcut volume controls are also non-functional.

I've reset the PRAM to no effect.

Any other ideas, or is my volume toast until Apple addresses this with the next incremental release?

Thanks for any and all assistance!

Regards,
Ken

www.kenbalch.com
----------------------------------
My project's blog:
1969TriumphT120R.com
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Did you backup before applying the update? No? If not, boot to your Recovery partition and reinstall Lion. The Lion reinstall will do an automatic archive and install. Let's see if that fixes it.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I would simply try re-applying the update for the moment. If that doesn't work, we can try digging further.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I would download and re-install the combo update. If that does not resolve it I would do what chscag suggested.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
kbalch

Thanks, guys.

Yes, I did have a current backup (via Time Machine). Rather than just return to 10.7.2, I reinstalled from the 10.7.3 combo updater. No change.

I then repaired permissions from Disk Utility. No change.

I then unplugged my external speakers and rebooted. That (possibly in combination with one or both of the other fixes tried) has solved the problem. All of my volume controls are back and, when I plug my speakers and/or headphones back in, everything works as it should.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys; I really appreciate the help! :-)

Ken

www.kenbalch.com
My project's blog:
1969TriumphT120R.com
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
Thanks, guys.

Yes, I did have a current backup (via Time Machine). Rather than just return to 10.7.2, I reinstalled from the 10.7.3 combo updater. No change.

I then repaired permissions from Disk Utility. No change.

I then unplugged my external speakers and rebooted. That (possibly in combination with one or both of the other fixes tried) has solved the problem. All of my volume controls are back and, when I plug my speakers and/or headphones back in, everything works as it should.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys; I really appreciate the help! :-)

Ken
I would hazard a guess that the internals of the speaker socket are operating as a latching switch and that it needs to be reset which is what you did when you removed the jack from the externals.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
kbalch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
I would hazard a guess that the internals of the speaker socket are operating as a latching switch and that it needs to be reset which is what you did when you removed the jack from the externals.
Sounds reasonable to me. I wonder what it was about the OS upgrade that triggered the problem? I suppose it could simply be a temporal coincidence, but that strains credulity. Mine, at least. :-)

Ken

www.kenbalch.com
My project's blog:
1969TriumphT120R.com
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
Sounds reasonable to me. I wonder what it was about the OS upgrade that triggered the problem? I suppose it could simply be a temporal coincidence, but that strains credulity. Mine, at least. :-)

Ken
Hi Ken,
I can't be certain but my guess is that the contacts in the jack socket have normally closed switches connected to them. Plug in a jack and the switches will open, shutting off the audio to the internal speakers. Conflict could have occurred during the power interrupt/restart regime.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
QUOTE Thanks
kbalch

Makes sense. I'll buy it. :-)

Ken

www.kenbalch.com
My project's blog:
1969TriumphT120R.com
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Ha..cheers

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« application question | Fresh Installing Lion, on a lion loaded mac »