New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Snow Leopard Upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ysbytymike

Ysbytymike is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24"

Sorry if this has been covered before. I have done a quick search but could not find the answer I was looking for.

I have a 13" Powerbook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.4 and was thinking of upgrading both my powerbook and my 27" imac to Lion but just realized that my imac is running 10.5.8 which means it will not take Lion directly.

I have the original 13" 10.6.4 start-up disk which came with the laptop. My question is, can I upgrade my imac from this powerbook disk or will I need to purchase a separate snow leopard disk for this.

Cheers

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

No, you can't.

"What OS Disk Do I Need?" A Brief Overview

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Ysbytymike

Ysbytymike is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24"

Thanks for that Dysfunction. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
SweetPea

SweetPea is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB,1067 MHz DDR3, OSX 10.9.5 & iPad Mini 2 - 32 GB WiFi iOS8.0

Thanks for the chart but it has get me thinking...

1. I have the Intel Core i5 will I be able to upgrade to Lion
2. Can I wait and just go from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion when it comes out
3. How do I find out if my Microsoft Office 2011 will work for the Lion or Mountain Lion

Thanks ahead for your help

SweetPea: Confused:
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

1. yes, you can upgrade to Lion.
2. No one has any idea at this point
3. Office 11 is fully intel based, as is 08. So no problems

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« reusing Time Machine Disk | Trash mailbox in Lion »