New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Backing uop with Time Machine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Alwyn

Alwyn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 500 Gb HD OS X 10.10.0; iPad Mini iOS 8.1;iPhone 3GS 6.1.6

Hey ho we're now a 2 iMac couple, both Senior Citizens! I have 2 1TB external drives and use them alternately to back up. Is there a way to back up both Macs to one drive? If not can I alternate the external drives between the 2 iMacs or are they dedicated?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Generally it's a good idea to dedicate one drive to Time Machine. However, if you have enough space on the single drive, you could partition it and dedicate one partition to each iMac.

So, since your iMacs have a 500GB drive each and you have 2 1TB externals, theoretically you could use the Partition tab in Disk Utility to split one of the drives into 2 500GB partitions. That should be enough to give you a decent backup and allow you to share it between the two machines.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Alwyn

Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 500 Gb HD OS X 10.10.0; iPad Mini iOS 8.1;iPhone 3GS 6.1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Generally it's a good idea to dedicate one drive to Time Machine. However, if you have enough space on the single drive, you could partition it and dedicate one partition to each iMac.

So, since your iMacs have a 500GB drive each and you have 2 1TB externals, theoretically you could use the Partition tab in Disk Utility to split one of the drives into 2 500GB partitions. That should be enough to give you a decent backup and allow you to share it between the two machines.
Thanks; I've done one and will try it out before doing the other one.
QUOTE Thanks
Alwyn

Quote:

I did as you said but have since been told by Applecare that you can back up 2 Macs to the same Time Machine. This seems to me a more satisfactory solution as one Mac may use up more capacity than another.

For anybody else thinking of doing this you do of course have to eject from one Mac and connect to the next. If you have 2 external hard drives (I label them 1 & 2) you also have to go to System Preferences on the dock and click on Time Machine to get the option to choose the disk to use; otherwise it doesn't know that it's the current Time Machine. Don't try going staright to Time Machine on the dock as that takes you into the Time Machine 'universe'.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
I did as you said but have since been told by Applecare that you can back up 2 Macs to the same Time Machine. This seems to me a more satisfactory solution as one Mac may use up more capacity than another.

For anybody else thinking of doing this you do of course have to eject from one Mac and connect to the next. If you have 2 external hard drives (I label them 1 & 2) you also have to go to System Preferences on the dock and click on Time Machine to get the option to choose the disk to use; otherwise it doesn't know that it's the current Time Machine. Don't try going staright to Time Machine on the dock as that takes you into the Time Machine 'universe'.
That's interesting. Are you sure they said 'Time Machine' and not 'Time Capsule'?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Alwyn

Quote:
That's interesting. Are you sure they said 'Time Machine' and not 'Time Capsule'?
Yes and I've de-partitioned both drives and test-driven one of them. From Finder/Time Machine/Backups/ it shows the 2 iMacs by name. Clicking on Time Machine in Applications will only show the iMac to which Time Machine is connected.
QUOTE Thanks
SweetPea

SweetPea is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB,1067 MHz DDR3, OSX 10.9.5 & iPad Mini 2 - 32 GB WiFi iOS8.0

I have several questions:
I have a 500 GB can I use a 500 gb external drive w/time machine - is that "big" enough?
If the worst happened and I lost everything, how do I get everything back from the external drive if my computer has crashed?

Thanks for all the info.

SweetPea
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« the underlying task reported failure on exit - leopard | Possible Malware Problem »