Specs:
    2 21.5" iMacs 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 500 Gb HD OS X 10.11.5; 2 iPads iOS 9.3;2 iPhone 4s iOS 9.3
    Favorites in Lion
    I persuaded my wife to replace her old PC with a Mac. We started with a laptop but it's way too small and bad for Senior Citizens' posture! So we swapped it for an iMac just like mine, or so I thought.

There seem to be some differences with the Lion OS compared with Leopard. I make aliases for all my favourite (Brit. spelling) folders, rename the alias and put it in Favorites but that doesn't seem to work with Lion.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    In what way is it not working? Nothing has changed in that regard since Leopard.

Specs:
    2 21.5" iMacs 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 500 Gb HD OS X 10.11.5; 2 iPads iOS 9.3;2 iPhone 4s iOS 9.3
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    In what way is it not working? Nothing has changed in that regard since Leopard.
    In Finder I can't see Places. I transferred the entire profile from the Mac laptop to the iMac and ended up with 2 Users. I've deleted one leaving just the one I transferred.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I just created an alias of one of my folders, renamed it, and dragged it to the Finder Sidebar and dropped it there. Is that what you're referring to?

And yes, there is no "places" in the Lion Finder. You now have an option to show "All My Files".

Specs:
    Conflict resolution SOLVED
    I just created an alias of one of my folders, renamed it, and dragged it to the Finder Sidebar and dropped it there. Is that what you're referring to?

And yes, there is no "places" in the Lion Finder. You now have an option to show "All My Files".
    Thanks; that explains a bit but I got Applecare to sort things like access to Library. I also think there was a conflict because, when I moved the profile from the Macbook to the iMac, I had to rename the User file 'cos it said that the name already existed. I added a 1 to it but I think that the original was lurking somewhere in the background. Anyway Applecare helped me to make a User without the 1 and without losing all my files so the conflict seems to have been resolved.

Anyway many thanks for your help.

Specs:
    Changed name doesn't appear when drageed to Favorites

For some reason when I drag the alias to Favorites the name reverts to that of the underlying folder.

Thread Information