New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Can I upgrade from Tiger 10.4.9 to 10.5 Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dwhite

Dwhite is on a distinguished road

This is my first time on this forum and I have some questions I hope someone can help me with.

I have two Apple Mac G5 computers that are about 7 years old. Operating system Tiger 10.4.9 I purchased an Epson 4900 printer that states that I need Leopard 10.5 or higher.

I also purchased an Epson 7900 printer that states that I need Leopard 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard 10.6.x.

I called Apple to see about getting drivers to use my new printers and they told me that 10.5 was not available.

I also called Epson and they told me that 10.4.9 would not work that the printers were designed to work on the MacPro PC version instead of the Mac G5.

I was shocked that I have spent over $4000.00 on two printers and now I will have to buy 2 new MacPro's.

I also have three 23 inch Mac monitors that are 32 bit and the people at the Apple Store couldn't tell me if my monitore would work on the new 64 bit MacPro's or not; even let me speak to the repair people and they couldn't tell me.

Can someone please help me out here.

Thanks,
Danny
QUOTE Thanks
Dwhite

Dwhite is on a distinguished road

Can I upgrade from Tiger 10.4.9 to 10.5 Leopard. Apple says no; the disk are no longer available. I have two new Epson printers; 4900 and 7900 and can't use them. I was told I would have to buy new computers; the MacPro. I currently have Mac G5. Can someone help me.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

As long as your Mac meets these specs:
Requirements for Mac OS X v10.5

Then you can upgrade to Leopard.

The tough job is finding the discs to do it. Ebay?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

See my reply to your other post on the subject

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Cross post merged together. Please keep threads of the same subject together as one.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And when you go to eBay and other auction sites make sure you purchase the black coloured full retail install DVD and not a silver/grey model specific discs which will not work. Have a read of Razormac's great thread on discs. The Leopard disc you need is the second last and Leopard will run on all G5's. Make sure you have 2GB memory.

"What OS Disk Do I Need?" A Brief Overview

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Personal Finance Software | Macbook OS will not start »