New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Time Machine Doc and Pic Only

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

landtoy80

landtoy80 is on a distinguished road

All I want to save on my Free Agent GoFlex 1T portable hard drive is my pictures and my documents.

Can I set up the Time Machine to only back up all my pics, documents and pic's on
I-photo? Any reason not to run time machine this way? I only care about my documents and pic's, the rest of the stuff on the Mac I don't care if I lose as I can just reboot with DVD and start fresh.

I want to just save the stuff in (not sure what its called but I get to it by going to)
Finder<
Places<
Icon of a House and its Name (that I named)
in there is all my folders with pic's

Did some playing with Exclusions and removed everything but
Apps < I-Photo and PhotoBooth
User< (the file I named)
and 2 other files that I use.

Is this the correct way to save only data and pics/docs?

and

Finder<
Places<
Documents

I have run Time Machine with no exclusions.

I am going to reboot the Mac with the Leopard DVD that came with the Mac.
I have OS X 10.5.8

I am not too Mac proficient (as you may tell) and have read about "exclusions" to Time Machine but not sure what to exclude so I only get my Pic's, Doc's and I-Photo's saved.
QUOTE Thanks
landtoy80

I played with Exclusions and excluded everything but:
User
Apps<IPhoto
and a couple files I use.

Is this going to be enough to save my Data, Pics, IPhoto's pics?

Looking at the Apps<IPhoto there is no pic's there.
Where is the IPhoto folder? Can it be saved to Time Machine?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The iPhoto library which holds all your photos is located here:

MacIntosh HD/your user name/pictures/iPhoto Library

Don't exclude your user profile account from Time Machine or you will lose photos, documents, and all your personal settings.
QUOTE Thanks
landtoy80

When running Time Machine I find all my data and files in the latest save so will what I see saved will be there when I reboot the system and hook up the Time Machine?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You're referring to doing a restore.... yes, if you can view all your data when you open Time Machine from System Preferences, it will be restored just as you see it.
QUOTE Thanks
SweetPea

SweetPea is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB,1067 MHz DDR3, OSX 10.9.5 & iPad Mini 2 - 32 GB WiFi iOS8.0

I have a question - hope this is the correct thread:

I have been a PC owner and happily now am a MAC.

1. Why do I want to backup a mac?
2. If I do what do I want to back up?
3. How often do I backup?
4. I have Snow Leopard, should I back up before going to Mountain Lion?
5. My Mac is a 500 GB, I am only using 60 GB what type of an external drive should I purchase?

Any other informatioon would be helpful.

I Love my Mac and want to keep it "safe".

SweetPea
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Welcome to life as a Mac owner. Let's take these questions one at a time. Hopefully I can provide some answers.

1. Back up your Mac to keep from loosing valuable/important data. Mac's are machines and sometimes machines fail. Humans are, well. human and sometimes delete stuff they wish they had back.

2. There are two option really. Backing up your data only or backing up data and the operating system. Copying "cloning" the entire system properly can get you back up and running quickly in the even of a disaster.

3. How often you back up really depends upon your needs and how big a risk you are willing to take with the prospect of loosing data. Apple's Time Machine program makes it easy to back up changed files hour;y.

4. I didn't back up when moving from Snow Leopard to Lion but it is always a good idea to do so.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Os x 10.8 | Phantom pref files »