New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Shift + 'S' inop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TyesMacs

TyesMacs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac: 24"/2.8Ghz/Cor2/6GB/1.5TB/OS 10.9.4

Evening All,

I have a 'doozie' for any and all takers:

In late '08, I bought my 24" iMac. Worked fine for about a year then I noticed that my 'shift+s' was not working (this was also just before I upgraded to Snow Leopard). Being that it was covered under Apple Care, of course I called Apple and they walked me through reinstalling the OS and it worked for a couple of days and then it still didn't work after I upgraded to SL. Everything else on the keyboard works just fine, just not 'shift+s'.

Now fast forward to early this week, I erased and reloaded SL on the '08 MBP that I received as a gift (did not have the original discs) then with Migration Assistant, copied my settings, apps, etc. to the MBP. Now guess what: that's right, no 'shift+s' on the MBP! PRIOR to the reload of SL, the 'shift+s' worked just fine. Therefore, I'm convinced that he issue was transferred with the migration but how it happened initially on the iMac, I just don't know. I've been to Keyboard on Sys Pref but no cigar. Just thought I'd seek some assistance from the masters before I reload both (my two teens will begin using the iMac when all is said and done) which I'd rather NOT do....
QUOTE Thanks
indychris

indychris will become famous soon enough

So your <shift> key works and the <S> key works, but you can't get a capital S using the combination of the two keys?
QUOTE Thanks
TyesMacs

TyesMacs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac: 24"/2.8Ghz/Cor2/6GB/1.5TB/OS 10.9.4

Correct...and that is with either shift keys; all other keys that have shift function, work fine...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do you Multitask in OS X? | Back my iMac in SafeMode? »