Thread: Virus threat

Virus threat
    I have a cable modem connected to Time Machine, with the Time Machine being the router for my three mac computers. I allow my neighbor to access my wireless network, she is running a Dell PC. Does this represent a virus threat passing through the router to my apple machines? If so, what precautionary steps should be taken?

Louisville, KY - USA
    MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
    You can easily set up a "Guest" network and disallow communication to your main network. I have my router set up that way and when people come over, they get onto the Guest network and have access to the internet, but have no access to any other device connected to my main network.

Besides, Windows Viruses do not run on OSX.

Also, depending on where you are, allowing others to tap into your connection is technically against the terms of service of nearly every single provider on the planet. You may want to keep that on the DL.
    MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
    MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
    iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2

27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    And adding to what Deckyon has said, you are also eating into your monthly cap by alowing her to use your connection, presumably for free, and when you hit the cap you're going to get shut down, do it often enough (with Comcast) and they might require you to get into a more beefier plan to continue to have access..

By sharing your Internet connection with someone outside of your household you are actually acting as a mini ISP that's forbidden by most, if not all, ISP TOS..

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Considering that they do their computing at work, I don't think they are looking for someone who checks their email a couple of times on the weekend. Thanks for the concern anyway.

Thread Information