New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Should I upgrade my graphics card?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jwyse

jwyse is on a distinguished road

Seems like a funny question? These are the specifics.

Have MacPro and Macbook Pro. Generally happy with both as they are.

However, in using Final Cut Studio, everything looks great until I go to render the video to SD format.

Hence, everything look fine and great until I go to render and compress the video output.

Would it make a difference if I upgraded the video graphics card? Have a mid-2009 macpro desktop, so it would be $450 or so to uupgrade and not sure if this would make any difference other than obviously speed-up the graphcis somewhat. The current video is the stock GX120 nvidia card that came with the system. New video is an ATI 5870 I believe.

Any ides?
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

If you are rendering to SD and playing the thing full screen, no graphics card in the world can make it look good, especially on a screen larger than 15".

Compressing video and audio reduces quality in favor of file size. Is there a reason you are compressing to SD?

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Yah, I don't think it's a problem of your video card not being able to display it better, the card just shows whatever you play. And when you render to SD your video naturally looses audio and video quality.

QUOTE Thanks
jwyse

jwyse is on a distinguished road

I guess I selected SD as I am not very familiar with compressor or dvd studio pro.

Should I be outputting the dvd to something else?

My goal is to output the video I created to create a DVD video that most people can play on their dvd player. Should I be selecting to output to HD but then burn the DVD using different settings in DVD Studio Pro?
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

ok. The TYPICAL DVD resolution for video is 720x480. The 2nd number is the height of the screen in pixels and denotes the quality, thus 720x480 is SD, 1280x720 is HD720 and so on. If you are trying to watch something that is only 720x480 blown up even to 1280x1024, it is going to look bad. And above that, even worse.

If it were me, Export the full resolution video with the best possible render and then let the DVD Studio Pro do the compression to the correct resolution.

I have done a number of "Share to DVD" from within FCPx and they have been fine, no problems and looked great on the TV.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ReportCrash problem | PowerMac G4 »