New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Driver for TRENDnet TEW-644UB Wireless USB Adapter

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xelpmoc

xelpmoc is on a distinguished road

I'm having issues finding a driver that will work correctly with my laptop. The driver I am using now is from RALink which makes the chipset. I had less luck with the driver Trendnet provides on their website. I can pull an IP and get on the network, but the Mac is recognizing the wireless adapter as a wired adapter. This means I cannot mange the wireless connection with the Mac itself. I have to use the bundled software that came with the driver. Also the connection through the wireless NIC is sub-par, which I am guessing has to do with the device not being recognized correctly.

Any driver recommendations or tips for changing the recognized adapter type would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
xelpmoc

xelpmoc is on a distinguished road

I got off the phone with TrendNet a while ago. They said their adapter will only work with their bundled software. It looks like I'm stuck with that... unless there's some sort of workaround.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Not to be discouraging xelpmoc, but have never got a USB wireless adapter to work with a Mac yet, from G4's through to Mac Pros. Simply no drivers available. From memory, Realtek did offer a driver but up to Tiger OS X.4 only.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerMac G4 | Mac hangs even with low memory and CPU usage »