Erasing Macbook for re-sale
    Hi everyone

I was aghast to find my Macbook Pro (purchased Novemeber 2011) didn't come with a start-up disk for OS X Lion. Checking the net, it seems as though you need the disk in order to erase the hard drive.

However I've deleted everything manually, erased the trash, applications, web history, reset safari, ensured no data is stored on websites and all that. I also deleted my admin account and created a new Administrator account.

But then I discovered Disk Utility is already present without the disk, so I ran the erase hard-drive option 7x.

Is this 'enough'? By enough, I mean for re-sale to anybody who isn't a prodigious hacker. Or should I go to the apple store and use a disk?

Help would be much appreciated

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Is this 'enough'? By enough, I mean for re-sale to anybody who isn't a prodigious hacker. Or should I go to the apple store and use a disk?
    Boot back to the Recovery Partition and run Disk Utility again to erase once more, only this time select secure erase three passes. Don't select any higher number than that or you'll be erasing the disk for several days. That will ensure not even a clever hacker can undelete any of your personal data unless he works for the FBI or NSA.

Lake Mary, Florida
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Also, you may find this thread handy:
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Thanks guys. cwa107, that thread looks as though it is giving advice to people with the original start-up disk, which I'm lacking. I guess my question is that, by using the disk utility function to erase all the free space, am I covering myself adequately despite having no start-up disk?

Thread Information