New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

HELP! w/ INSTALLING GIMPSHOP ON MACBOOK PRO OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

princedjessica

princedjessica is on a distinguished road

I am incredibly confused, I never had these issues when I had my pc but now this is just so confusing, so I need some help. How do I get gimpshop on my macbook pro? I need to get it on here really bad. I have a macbook pro laptop os x version: 10.7.2 and I don't know the difference between lion, snowlepard or all the other feline names for certain softwares, what's the difference in all this stuff? Also i know i need windows whatever under the name x11 on my macbook pro first but i don't know if its already installed on here already or if i need to buy some sort of cd thats x11 or what before i can get gimp, soooo help me out here and what do i need to do. is there a free version of x11 that will work on my macbook pro if its usually expensive?? help!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
bboggess

bboggess has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Mountain Lion 10.8.4, Retina display iPad

OSX 10.7.2 is Lion. Looking at the web site for gimpshop, from the "Download" section there is a link to X11. I would imagine that it goes to download and install the X11 Window framework. Without the X11 framework, Gimpshop will not start. Once completed, Download gimpshop and install. X11 and Gimpshop are free.

Bill
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Gimpshop? What is this?

i think you are getting GIMP and Photoshop mixed up.

GIMP would be the open source, free photo manipulation program.

Photoshop would be the rather expensive Adobe photo manipulation program.

X11 should be installed by default, and to install GIMP you need to go to this site, and download the installer package. after it downloads, it should be a couple of clicks.

GIMP on OS X

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
bboggess

bboggess has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Mountain Lion 10.8.4, Retina display iPad

Gimp Shop is a modified version of Gimp to give the look and feel of Photoshop. X11 DOES install by default when installing Gimp but the OP requested Gimpshop. See gimpshop.com

Bill
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboggess View Post
Gimp Shop is a modified version of Gimp to give the look and feel of Photoshop. X11 DOES install by default when installing Gimp but the OP requested Gimpshop. See gimpshop.com

Bill
you learn something new every day Bill, I wasn't aware of this modification but its certainly a good idea. I wouldnt call GIMP easy to use, however, like they state on their website

have some rep.

OP, if you click on the Apple icon in your top left corner, then click "About this Mac", you will find out what OS version you are running.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

Thanks Bill, will give Gimpshop a go myself

Rep + to you

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

I have just tried Gimpshop, and unfortunately it won't start in Lion. Looking around the net it seems that is only compatible up to Tiger as development ceased in 2006.
I would therefore recommend to the OP to try Gimp as mentioned above.

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lion Login after swapping for new hard drives | Installing OS X with Linux »